Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

Gattaca

Have you been inspired by any great movies lately? Let us know about them!
Post Reply < PreviousNext > [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
travish
Good Friend

Post by travish » April 6, 2008, 2:38 pm

This is a movie that I hardly ever see on anyone's list of inspirational movies. This is my favorite movie and for me is perhaps the most inspirational.
Gattaca is the story of a man in the future that is discriminated against due to his genetic makeup being "flawed". He lives in the time when only the genetically superior are able to reach their potential. He decides that his dreams are too important to him to allow society to suppress his spirit. He does everything he can to overcome his "inferior" birth and attain his dream of going into space.
This movie conveys the truth that everyone has a potential that is amazing. Each person on earth has the ability to change the world. Society perpetuates the lie that mediocrity is the best that it can be for most people.
Help me inspire the world. Visit my blog at:
http://thehumanpotentialproject.blogspot.com/

ladybird
Beautiful Soul
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by ladybird » April 6, 2008, 10:38 pm

Dear (((travish))),

A very warm welcome to the Peak....a place I like to call a heavenly oasis for the soul!!! and I too looooovvvvveeeeed this movie...its a grrrrrreat movie with much impact and its a thinking movie that may not be as far fetched as one might initally think in this current age of ever developing technology and genetic engineering....its a must see movie and a bit of a thriller sci fi movie with class in mwhas opinion....I too found it very inspirational...and you have written an impressive review!!

love ladybird luv

...To accomplish great things we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe...
~ Anatole France
Sunshine surrounds the earth as love surrounds our souls. ~Amethyst Snow-Rivers

LadySolaris
Beloved Pest
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by LadySolaris » April 7, 2008, 8:45 am

Gattaca is a very inspirational movie, especially when viewed several times. I remember watching it the first time and taking in the environment, the technology, the struggle, the evolution and devolution. When I watched it again, and again, I was able to focus on all the details... and the message got stronger and clearer. Good movie to watch - time and again.

travish
Good Friend

Post by travish » April 7, 2008, 10:11 am

Thanks for the welcome and your replies.
Another thing I forgot to mention is one of the special features on the DVD. I believe it is in the deleted scenes and is called Coda. It is very simple and shows people who accomplished amazing things in their lives. They had genetic "defects" as it would be seen in the Gattaca world. Had their parents had access to the type of medical help depicted in the movie, they would never have been born. The end of the scene is the most poignant so I won't ruin it for people who wish to go and watch it, which I highly recommend.
Help me inspire the world. Visit my blog at:
http://thehumanpotentialproject.blogspot.com/

Post Reply < PreviousNext >