Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

Mr. Weekes - My English Professor

Tell us about a person who has made a big difference in your life! Maybe it was a teacher, a grandparent, an artist... or maybe a stranger you met on the street. Whoever it is... this is the place to officially recognize them!
Ron Atchison
Inspiration Peak

Post by Ron Atchison » January 20, 2007, 6:10 pm

I'm probably not eligible to vote - but I would like to mention one of my favorite teachers.

He was an English professor at Eastern Washington University and his name was Mr. Weekes - a colorful man who loved verbs and poetry and drinking beer at the local pub.

"The key to good writing," he would always tell us "is to first believe you have something important to say."

He went on to say that this idea held true for 'good living.' According to Mr. Weekes, we need to believe that we have something important to say with our lives. Even if we're not a hundred percent sure of the details... we need to believe that we are here for a great and noble purpose.

By doing this, we move ourselves into a higher realm. We move to a place where it is much easier for us to relate to ourselves and to each other. A place ruled by respect and possibility.

I don't know what ever became of Professor Weekes. But I hope he is still inspiring freshman English students. And that he knows I was listening!

Please note that this topic was imported from our previous forum. New replies are welcome. - IP
"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced." - Vincent Van Gogh

Laura Sue
Beautiful Soul

Post by Laura Sue » December 7, 2009, 8:18 pm

Running out of steam, eyes blurry. This was the last post I read tonight, and I'm so glad I did.

I have a feeling, Professor Weekes is someone you were meant to meet and he would be happy to know the impression he made on you.

Now here you are, so am I and I couldn't be feeling more blessed by all the inspiration, creativity and more that I find here.

BTW - I keep seeing "love grows here" at the top of this page, and it makes me smile every single time.

Take care - bedtime for me - Laura zz

Davidf
Beautiful Soul

Post by Davidf » January 2, 2011, 4:20 pm

Ron,
For me, my favorite teacher would be my 7th, 8th and 9th grade Spanish teacher (that's right, I had the same teacher for all 3 years), Mrs. BalisArtura. She called us all her "sunshines" and made learning Spanish easier and fun. She would go through the effort of typng lists of the new words and their translations in each chapter so a Spanish-English dictionary was never needed. Every detail and nuance (such as help with irregular verbs) was done with patience and care. From time to time, we would play "Spanish Jeopardy" to reinforce our lessons and get ready for test times. I'm sur Mr. Weekes had a similar impact on you as this teacher had on me. We all need at least one special teacher in our lives.
~Davidf
Have a blessed day!

Post Reply < PreviousNext >