Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

Natural Presence

NEW! A place to share your inspirational ideas with us. It can be about health, wealth, peace of mind, changing the world, raising inspired kids... you get the idea!
BigPeteH
Beautiful Soul

Post by BigPeteH » March 3, 2010, 6:37 am

Since the publication of Eckhart Tolle's excellent best selling book The Power of Now, concepts such as 'living presently', 'living in the NOW' and 'living the moment' have become much more prevalent in our society. There is nothing new about these concepts. They have been around for millennia.

For example, the Gospel writer Matthew attributes the following to Jesus:-
"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself."
But how many of us really understand what living 'in the now' means?

When I take my parents' dog Tina for a walk to a large field near their house, there are often a lot of rabbits and Tina starts to stalk them. The rabbits sit there nonchalantly chewing on the grass until she gets a certain distance a way. Then all of a sudden, they're off.

They have an instant response. There is an instant change from feed to flight. Then as soon as they reach somewhere they know they are safe (e.g. behind a fence or in some thick briars) they are instantly completely calm again. They do not spend days worrying about the terrible dog incident. They do not sit quaking with fear in case it happens again. They do not call on various fluffy tailed friends and explain to them what a terrible day they have had at the field.

It is done. It is finished. They are straight back to feeding, straight back to living. Living in the moment in total harmony with their surroundings, including potential threats. Those rabbits respond only to what IS, not what has been or what might be.

Most humans, on the other hand, spend the majority of their time not engaged with present moment reality, but lost in thought, either in the future or the past.

Either mind is re-hashing some incident that has happened in the past and is long since over and done with, or it is imagining what the future will bring. Neither of these things need necessarily be what we often call 'negative'. It might be regret or pleasant reminiscing. It might be worry or imagining for oneself a great future.

This is not 'negative thinking'. It might be very positive, but still it takes one away from present moment reality and in doing so it greatly reduces one's effectiveness to act and also one's capacity to really take in the miraculous wonder of all that surrounds us, always, right now.

One can only powerfully affect the future by acting powerfully NOW. Now is the only time we ever have, the only time in which we can act. One cannot act powerfully now if one's attention is either in the past or in the future. But the even greater realisation is that once one brings one's attention fully into the present moment, one realises that it is already deeply wonderful, and there is absolutely no need to dream of bright futures in our mind. It really doesn't get any brighter than THIS!

Nothing comes close to the miraculous wonder of viewing present reality without filtering it through thought. Total presence brings an ecstatic feeling of oneness and harmony with all that is.

Being here now is Love.
"You cannot decide direction, you can only live the moment that is available to you. By living it, direction arises. If you dance, the next moment is going to be of a deeper dance." - Osho

ashu
Good Friend

Post by ashu » November 7, 2010, 5:07 am

HEY MAN
YOU ARE TOO SILLY TO UNDERSTAND
STAY UNDER
DONT STAND
AS I TOLD YOU
LOOK AROUND YOU
JESUS IS BACK AGAIN
HIS STATUE IS NOW IN POLAND
GO AND READ NEWSPAPERS
IT'S ONLY MEANT FOR YOU
YOU ARE STILL A LONG WAY TO READ HISTORY.

INDIA WINS AMERICA.
NUCLEAR WEAPONS AND NUCLEAR ENERGY
TO INDIA A REALITY.
OBAMA WEEPING FOR MERCY.

AS I TOLD YOU
SOON YOUR EVERY BREATH WILL BE ASIAN
GO TO JESUS
AS I AM UP TO YOU.

TO BELEAVERS
WE HAVE JUST PASS WORLD WAR III.
STUPID BRITISH
NOW YOU GIVE ME FREE ELECTRICITY
YOU TAKE DIEGO
FOR ETERNITY.

IS IT NOT WONDERFUL MY FRIEND?
AS IF ALL I WRITE COMES TRUE.

BigPeteH
Beautiful Soul

Post by BigPeteH » November 7, 2010, 8:56 am

Thank you, Ashu

That was very entertaining. Perhaps it does come true in the world your thoughts create. I cannot tell.

:)

Pollie
Beautiful Soul

Post by Pollie » November 11, 2010, 10:24 pm

BigPeteH,
Maybe I am off thoughts on what you are saying, but I believe that in no way can one exist without the others. If yesterday we were not thoughtful of tomorrow, there may not be a today-a now. And if we only try to be existing now with no thought whatsoever of tomorrow then it may never come.

I believe that all of the yesterdays I lived have made me who I am and prepared me one way or another for today. They are the accumulation of days that I find the strength to be powerful (now) today. And if I do not take into consideration tomorrow what use would acting out every moment of today because it is all for nothing but the moment, not for a better tomorrow.

Yesterday makes today, together they make tomorrow. Or else there would be nothing, everyday would be the same, just an existence.

It's not as eloquent as what is lingering still in my thoughts, it also makes more sense in my head, :p
"The future has a way of putting in front of us, that which we most wish to leave behind" Unknown

BigPeteH
Beautiful Soul

Post by BigPeteH » November 12, 2010, 9:32 am

Thank you for your thoughts, Pollie

There is no need to strive for a 'better' tomorrow if you already love and are happy today.

Love is unconditional, as is happiness. It is in no way dependent on circumstances. Unconditional means no judgement, so there is no way of deciding what might be 'better' tomorrow.

Today is loved. The next today is loved. The next today is loved. The whole of life is loved.

Does this mean that you just sit about doing nothing?

No, it does not. I means that you arise every day with enthusiam like a small child and do whatever it is that you love doing, simply because you love doing it, not because you are trying to achieve anything or make life 'better'.

Life is wonderful. Life has always been wonderful. Life will always be wonderful.

Out of doing what you love for the sake of doing it, organic creation grows. You create without any plan, like the spontaneous growth of a tree, not knowing exactly WHAT is going to be created, but knowing that something wonderful always emerges out of doing what you love with joy and enthusiasm.

Growth and change happen on their own, whether you try to control and direct them or not. Just try to stop them happening!

With that in mind, you have a simple choice, between control and LOVE, between planned production and spontaneous free CREATION.
"We can march with dogged determination towards our goal, or we can dance, with no destination in mind. We can take the shortest route from point A to point B, or we can embark on a magical mystery tour."
Happy Cow
Life already knows what it is doing. We don't need to push it around. We can just relax and enjoy the ride.

mwzephyr
Beautiful Soul

Post by mwzephyr » November 12, 2010, 2:12 pm

I do believe we came here with something to learn and something to share. To let go and let God operate in our lives is a good and useful thought. But to let go and not participate nor to take responsibility nor offer our gifts to the world is less than I believe was intended. That urgency we arrived with here is also in my opinion a very important part of the "ride" as we are no less a part of that experience that can indeed be seen at time with clarity and simplicity.
Last edited by mwzephyr on November 15, 2010, 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigPeteH
Beautiful Soul

Post by BigPeteH » November 12, 2010, 3:30 pm

Thank you for your thoughts, Joyous

You are welcome to your beleifs and I have no wish to persuade anyone of anything. Thought is just thought.

I stopped feeling any urgency the moment I discovered unconditional love and stopped judging things 'good' and 'bad'.

Unconditional love really does leave me with no criteria with which to decide what 'improvement' might be.

And so I am left with just doing whatever I love doing.

Now, it might just happen by accident that what I create, others who do still engage in judgement consider that it does 'improve' the world. And others might totally disagree.

For me the notion 'improve' just has no meaning. So I leave them to their arguments.

BigPeteH
Beautiful Soul

Post by BigPeteH » November 12, 2010, 3:39 pm

"to let go and not participate nor to take responsibility nor offer our gifts to the world is less than I believe was intended." Joyous
My experience is that letting go leads to dramatically more creation, rather than less, the moment you start doing what you love doing for its own sake, rather than because you are trying to somehow 'save the world', then every day becomes one of joyous creation.

If you want to call that 'offering your gift' then I would say that presence and unconditional love have led to me 'offering my gift' far more than I ever previously did.

The only difference is I do not have any fixed goal in mind. What happens, happens. Creation and growth and change happen organically.

If you like, I have handed over the steering to Life.

Sadness Princess
Good Friend

Post by Sadness Princess » December 14, 2010, 5:03 am

BigPeteH,

I agree with you that TODAY, NOW, the moment that IS, is actually what we should be living... And yes, this doesn't mean to sit doing nothing, or not to think of any future plans, this would be called negativity... but the "in between", is what we are supposed to deal with... In other words, yesterday is gone along with its sorrows, regrets, happiness or whatever was felt or endured.. it's gone with it... and tomorrow, is unknown, and that is a fact: we never know if it's coming or not, unless you know for sure when is your last breath.....

So what's the point of ruining my Today, by thinking and remaining in my gone Yesterday, or worrying baout my Tomorrow.... this only means that I am no way going to enjoy or do anything useful with my today...

I believe that we should live each day as if it were our last day in life.. live as if there were no tomorrow... It's true that yesterday with any experience in it, regardless, positive or negative, is indeed waht had helped shape our personality or our reaction to certain things in the NOW, but it would be ridiculous to stay locked up in the past and its shades, while you will be wasting a TODAY, that is sure in your hands NOW...

I don't say that we should not think about our future, but on the contrary, think in a positive way.. such as, live your today with the best you can be and do... as if your tomorrow was never to come and this NOW, is the last thing you'll do to meet God with all your deeds, so won't you at least hope and want that the last thing done in your life is a good deed...?

That is thinking about my future, for the real future is the eternity we shall be living after this current life... which is only a journey, you must cross this bridge called life, to reach your final destination.... If this bridge is not clean, or doesn't look like what you've hoped for, or expected, that shouldn't have any impact on you, for it is just a road... walk this path to reach your destination, try to win the challenges it offers you, only for the sake of reaching where you want to be...

Doesn't that mean that you must live your Now, your Today, as fully as you can, and indeed, loving and cherishing the precious breath you have, the precious energy and power as well as abilities to do anything..... But simply sitting there saying I'm living my moment doing nothing is not actually living...

God wants us to work and do and create and make and ... so on... and God wants us to be aware of the value of the actual moment we live, and learn whatever we can from the gone yesterday only to live a better today... leave tomorrow.. let it be... you can never do anything to change what you do not know... Yes you can make plans, yes you can prepare yourself, (like for example study to go to college, or choose a specific university for a specific career..) yes you can dream, yes you can....... but if you choose to take the negative way and sit and worry about the coming problems of the future, you will end up blocked on every turn you try to take...

That's just what I believe...
What doesn't break you makes you stronger.

Sadness Princess
Good Friend

Post by Sadness Princess » December 14, 2010, 5:03 am

BigPeteH,

I agree with you that TODAY, NOW, the moment that IS, is actually what we should be living... And yes, this doesn't mean to sit doing nothing, or not to think of any future plans, this would be called negativity... but the "in between", is what we are supposed to deal with... In other words, yesterday is gone along with its sorrows, regrets, happiness or whatever was felt or endured.. it's gone with it... and tomorrow, is unknown, and that is a fact: we never know if it's coming or not, unless you know for sure when is your last breath.....

So what's the point of ruining my Today, by thinking and remaining in my gone Yesterday, or worrying baout my Tomorrow.... this only means that I am no way going to enjoy or do anything useful with my today...

I believe that we should live each day as if it were our last day in life.. live as if there were no tomorrow... It's true that yesterday with any experience in it, regardless, positive or negative, is indeed waht had helped shape our personality or our reaction to certain things in the NOW, but it would be ridiculous to stay locked up in the past and its shades, while you will be wasting a TODAY, that is sure in your hands NOW...

I don't say that we should not think about our future, but on the contrary, think in a positive way.. such as, live your today with the best you can be and do... as if your tomorrow was never to come and this NOW, is the last thing you'll do to meet God with all your deeds, so won't you at least hope and want that the last thing done in your life is a good deed...?

That is thinking about my future, for the real future is the eternity we shall be living after this current life... which is only a journey, you must cross this bridge called life, to reach your final destination.... If this bridge is not clean, or doesn't look like what you've hoped for, or expected, that shouldn't have any impact on you, for it is just a road... walk this path to reach your destination, try to win the challenges it offers you, only for the sake of reaching where you want to be...

Doesn't that mean that you must live your Now, your Today, as fully as you can, and indeed, loving and cherishing the precious breath you have, the precious energy and power as well as abilities to do anything..... But simply sitting there saying I'm living my moment doing nothing is not actually living...

God wants us to work and do and create and make and ... so on... and God wants us to be aware of the value of the actual moment we live, and learn whatever we can from the gone yesterday only to live a better today... leave tomorrow.. let it be... you can never do anything to change what you do not know... Yes you can make plans, yes you can prepare yourself, (like for example study to go to college, or choose a specific university for a specific career..) yes you can dream, yes you can....... but if you choose to take the negative way and sit and worry about the coming problems of the future, you will end up blocked on every turn you try to take...

That's just what I believe...
What doesn't break you makes you stronger.

Post Reply < PreviousNext >