Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

The Pursuit of Nothingness

NEW! A place to share your inspirational ideas with us. It can be about health, wealth, peace of mind, changing the world, raising inspired kids... you get the idea!
Post Reply < PreviousNext > [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
2tait
Beautiful Soul

Post by 2tait » June 10, 2010, 7:09 am

THE PURSUIT OF NOTHINGNESS

Over the past few moments, I have been thinking of this.
Why should we bother ourselves to make it in life?
To accumulate wealth, to be rich?
Why should we engage in a never-ending battle?
To make money and overcome poverty?
Why should we strive to be successful?
Why should we bother to compete and strive to win always?
Are those pursuits not in vain?
In the final analysis, do they not add up to vanity?
Yet we keep striving from generation to generation,

As in a rat race.

Is it simply to be successful?
Or just to earn the glory of winning and accomplishment?
Or to fulfil the urge or desire for comfort, for a better life?
Is it to fulfil our purpose, to affect the lives of others?
To leave behind an enduring legacy?
There must be a purpose for all these!
I want to lend my voice to the last summation.
The enduring reason why we accumulate wealth

Is to distribute the surplus to those who need it?
e.r.offor
emeofor@yahoo.co.uk
There are three things that limit a man:
The ground on which he stands
The thoughts of his mind
And the strength of his character!

Ron Atchison
Inspiration Peak

Post by Ron Atchison » June 10, 2010, 10:33 am

You are asking some excellent questions 2Tait... and I like the conclusion you've arrived at.

There's a poem we published a while back that I think does a great job of explaining the reason we are here... maybe you've seen this one?

I live for those who love me,
For those who know me true,
For the Heaven that smiles above me,
And awaits my spirit too;
For the cause that lacks assistance,
For the wrong that needs resistance,
For the future in the distance,
And the good that I can do.

- George Linnaeus Banks

All my best to you!! ;-)

mwzephyr
Beautiful Soul
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by mwzephyr » June 10, 2010, 6:54 pm

Perhaps we are simply in this world to bring God's gifts, endowed to us, into fruition...

ladybird
Beautiful Soul
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by ladybird » June 10, 2010, 10:46 pm

mwzephyr wrote:Perhaps we are simply in this world to bring God's gifts, endowed to us, into fruition...
simply beautiful, uplifting and inspirational thought....I can relate to that theory...I am very glad you posted that...

I also love your response Ron...also inspiring...

and thanx 2tait for creating something so thought provoking...

love ladybird luv
Sunshine surrounds the earth as love surrounds our souls. ~Amethyst Snow-Rivers

Lysuny_B
Fellow Traveler

Post by Lysuny_B » July 23, 2010, 9:27 am

Sometimes I ask me self the same thing as well in life

I mean there's more to life right and yet that question lingers on

at teh back of our mind WHY???
Live love life

tsbrownstone
Good Friend

Post by tsbrownstone » July 28, 2010, 11:17 am

i enjoy the art of nothingness by simply isolating myself from all the negativity that surrounds me. society places too many shrouds over my authenticity. when society demands participation, my authentic self gets lost in the mire of demands and expectations.
i find it best to only observe and enjoy the lunacy from afar.
awake each morning surprised that your lease on life hasn't expired

Hawkeye
Beautiful Soul

Post by Hawkeye » June 29, 2011, 11:59 am

We pursue wealth because we are programmed to do so. And to consume at maximum capacity.

I had an amazingly fortunate thing happen: I got laid off.

I'd worked full-time since I was 15 years old. It never occurred to me to do anything else. All the adults I knew worked as many hours as they could. That's simply what you did.

Then, just before I turned 30, I got a call from the company for which I'd labored for the past five years.

"Come clean out your desk," was the simple messaged. "We're closing the company."

Shock, yes. But not the kind you might expect. I didn't think, "Where am I going to get money now?" Instead, I thought, "My God -- what happened to my five years? What have I been doing? WHY?"

It hadn't been anything I'd wanted to do - it was a job that I was capable at, and which offered the most money. "What I wanted to do" didn't provide the most money, so I'd left it behind. Now, I realized that all the money I'd made had been consumed, and my five years had evaporated to boot!

I haven't worked full-time since (13 years). I make the money fit my life, not the other way around.

I catch hell for it sometimes, too. If you do something different, you have to be prepared for that. People emerge like zombies from the shadows: "We are consuming. Why aren't YOU consuming? We are disciples of the corporation. You, too, must be a disciple of the corporation! How DARE you be walking in the park on a Monday afternoon???"

Hint: Parks are mostly free of people on Monday afternoons :D:

Lion~*
Everything In Moderation

Post by Lion~* » July 1, 2011, 7:24 am

I agree with you on this Hawkeye! The simple things in life make me happy. Never been much for $ except the necessity of it. Heard all of the * you should'...* I answer, " Don't should on me!" As if my life has less meaning because I choose to make it meaningful to me and not the compromising clone of those negating my choices.

I bought myself a new motorcycle with hand gears and a sidecar to hold it up. Take my crutches with me so I can get around. " Should you do that with your leg ruined?" " Why shouldn't I? Why shouldn't I do what brings joy, freedom and peace to my soul and my body?" I am so sick to death of should'ers. There is a blatent disrespect for freewill... yet it is ours.

Enjoy the Parks! Enjoy life... we aren't here very long.
Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart...William Wordsworth

Follow your honest convictions, and stay strong. - William Thackeray

The bottom line, especially for my character,
is the issue of unconditional love.”
Matthew Weeden

Hawkeye
Beautiful Soul

Post by Hawkeye » July 2, 2011, 12:45 pm

You have a motorcycle with a sidecar?

How freaking cool is that? :D

Lion~*
Everything In Moderation

Post by Lion~* » July 2, 2011, 4:11 pm

It is very freakin' cool when it would be impossible to ride again otherwise! :D:
Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart...William Wordsworth

Follow your honest convictions, and stay strong. - William Thackeray

The bottom line, especially for my character,
is the issue of unconditional love.”
Matthew Weeden

Post Reply < PreviousNext >