Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

'Tis the Season

NEW! A place to share your inspirational ideas with us. It can be about health, wealth, peace of mind, changing the world, raising inspired kids... you get the idea!
j2ny
Fellow Traveler

Post by j2ny » December 18, 2014, 8:24 am

I got an "urgent" text message from my daughter yesterday. She teaches second grade at a Title I school. One of her students (age 7) shared the fear "There will be no Christmas." It seems this child's single mom is incarcerated and an Aunt stepped up to care for the 4 children (ages 2, 5, 7, and 13). Funds are stretched and barely adequate to cover daily expenses, let alone luxuries! I told my daughter the sad, unfortunate fact of life is that she will always have a student (or students) in dire straights. As much as our hearts break, we are powerless to save them all. That does not mean that we become cold, callous, and heartless! We mobilize. The aunt was contacted to insure that "basics" (food, clothing) were in place. The other teachers "adopted" the two little ones. I gave my daughter permission to use one of my accounts, modest (under $100) gifts will be delivered by Friday. I located the Toys for Tots area coordinator, as well as the food bank and gave my daughter those resources. It was a good feeling knowing this Yankee could help out a poor southern family. My hope for this season is that we can all look out for one another; extend the peace and goodwill that all of our holidays embrace.
\|m/
With Love,
jj

Davidf
Beautiful Soul

Post by Davidf » December 19, 2014, 2:38 pm

j2ny,
It is interesting you bring up this topic. I have been hearing commercials from a new charity, based on Long Island (I guess, it was from a radio station we get here) called "Angel Tree" which is supposed to help children with incarcerated moms and dads ensure their kids will get a gift for Christmas. They take monetary donations from people and distribute the gifts. It sounds like a wonderful new program. I would donate money myself, but I get very little, working in a piece-work type of factory. Very generous of you to give your daughter access so these kids won't be "left out" during the holidays.
~Davidf
Have a blessed day!

Ron Atchison
Inspiration Peak

Post by Ron Atchison » December 20, 2014, 10:00 pm

Just wanted to say 'Welcome to the Peak!' j2ny... and thank you for the very thoughtful post. I like your 'can-do' spirit and the way you were able to 'mobilize'. Very, very inspirational. ;)

~ Ron

Post Reply < PreviousNext >