Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

Dream

A place for great spirits to share their most beautiful dreams.
Post Reply < PreviousNext > [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
spirited
Fellow Traveler
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by spirited » June 21, 2007, 3:41 pm

Hello fellow travellers. I found this site 3 months ago...correction the site found me when I needed it most!!! This is my first posting.

I feel that I have been really blessed by fulfilling most of the dreams I had as a child... ah through the "eyes of wonder". I wanted to sing - granted -dream fulfilled. I wanted to make a c.d with the best Jazz musicians dream fulfilled- I became a 'boutique" agent- to help other singers/musicians to live their dreams- found my sweetheart....there's a lot to be grateful for. I wanted to teach and that is where I am now. Phew...that's a lot of dreaming.

But teaching in the public system was not as I envisaged my dream.. teaching creatively, using my performing arts background to connect with my students......helping them to articulate their dreams.... and so on. Management resisted....what worked with the students was "attacked" I was in shock mode...that was not the way my dream was envisaged...Fellow travellers it through me off the path....mmm for a little bit... it was tough terrain to trudge through (enter this site) but I am now at a "lookout" post and can "see" that this dream draws more resistance than the others.

So my dream is to continue to "create" the learning communities I envisage, where children can be free to pursue their dreams with support and encouragement, where real learning takes place. Where the culture is cooperative not competetive... where talents can rise and rise!!! Where love ,compassion, empathy is not treated with disdain or "fear". Where students and teachers can laugh and connect.. and the learning can really begin!!!! :)
Spirited!

Lion~*
Everything In Moderation
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Lion~* » June 21, 2007, 4:10 pm

Dear Spirited... A warm welcome to the Peak! I love your dream! There are so many talented children who do not get the opportunity to discover their artistic flare in life. My children have been 'turned off from pursuing their musical talent. Why? Because of teachers who are not in touch with the spirit of young persons.
Where students and teachers can laugh and connect.. and the learning can really begin!!!!
Our elementary music teacher killed the joy of making music. Our school does not have children go on to continue music in Highschool now. I loved music...am a trumpet player infact! I had great music teachers who made it fun and expressive and not this demeening chore imposed by an emotionally abusive controlling individual. I hope your dream is " caught" by your students! May they enjoy and resound in their spirits with notes of vibrant expression. May the learning begin and grow! May the roadblocks before you crash like a clanging cymbal !

Love Lion~*BlowOnTheTrumpetSoundTheHorn
MayMusicWithSpiritedContinueToBeBornPaw ;b
Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart...William Wordsworth

Follow your honest convictions, and stay strong. - William Thackeray

The bottom line, especially for my character,
is the issue of unconditional love.”
Matthew Weeden

Ron Atchison
Inspiration Peak

Post by Ron Atchison » June 22, 2007, 9:40 am

Welcome to the Peak Spirited One!!! ;)

I love your dream... and hope you continue to pursue it at all costs. Try to find out why the other teachers are so resistant... it could be they simply don't understand the new techniques and worry they would have to learn something new.

There's a wonderful documentary I heartily recommend to everyone who teaches or might be considering a career in education. It's called A Touch Of Greatness and follows the techniques of a teacher in New York who tends to think like we do.

Keep on keepin' on!!!!!! :)

spirited
Fellow Traveler

Post by spirited » June 22, 2007, 5:38 pm

Dear Lion and Ron,

Thank you for your warm welcome and your replies.. luv

Lion when I read your reply I shed a tear..correction I howled like a baby..at least a couple of buckets full of tears. Tears of release and joy. When you said the teacher "killed the joy of making music" the floodgates opened... I have been watching this process happen - have been surrounded by it... and not just music!! I am an English teacher - want to kill the joy of poetry, of Shakespeare of great literature teach and disconnect students forever ... give them no choice, don't ask for their opinion, tell them THIS is the right answer..
There are "spiritkillers" everywhere...they are not conscious of it. To answer your question Ron. I can honestly say to you that all of the teachers have been punched down for so long that they are in survival mode - keep the status quo and take the money...I am nauseated by it. But I can understand it..and them. I come along like Pollyanna and "remind" them of what they started out in teaching for..to make a difference. they "attack"... seriously... I have had " a thousand natural shocks", I stand out like a nail so you keep hammering until the nail looks like the others...themselves... they do it to the kids..they will do it me...

Unfortunately in Australia we have this embedded in the culture...its called the "Tall Poppy Syndrome" you cut down the tall poppies (people that are succeeding) ..its a bloody epidemic... As soon as you raise your standards and step up.... you have unleashed the "evil" spiritkiller genie who stalks you to become ordinary and kill off the dream... Now that's resistance....!

People fear speaking up because they think they will be hounded by the genie.... and then lose their jobs...one teacher was very cavalier and said...I don't care..I'm renovating at the moment. (She was building a patio) Its consumerism gone mad.....

Hey...I have taken a few hundred punches...and I'm still standing...I had to get back into my corner..for a bit ..(found your site which spurred me to get back into the ring)"

Thanks guys whilst this part of the climb has been a bit exhausting... the dream has become even more clear. I don't need to be in a boxing ring... I just have to create a new perspective and approach from a different angle, talk to more people actually teaching the way they want to teach... away from power politics and unconscious people... If this place does not exist....then I guess I will have to go off and create it...

Ron "A touch of greatness" was like a shot of adrenaline... I have been teaching Shakespeare and music to Aboriginal children..the ones the management says are just to "unruly" - they give me the "badly behaved" or so they say.... these kids have surprised all of them...when you see that glint in their eyes...when they blossom because you've taken the time to listen, when you see them not looking down at their shoes and saying "Shame Miss" and giving them the opportunity to be confident and joyous... Well
I'm ready to don the gladiator suit if I have to...

Lion keep playing that trumpet...I had the good fortune to create a few gigs for American players...the lovely Randy Brecker, and the late great Maynard Ferguson... how many Randy's, Maynards, Miles Davis' will be lost if we don't grab that dream....

Okay I have had my wings-clipped and so have my kids... I'm thinking I'll just take the escalator for awhile and go to PLAN B , C, D...

In the words of a great jazz toon....

They all laughed at Christopher Columbus when he said the world was round,
They all laughed when Edison recorded sound,
They all laughed at Wilbur and his brother when they said that man could fly
They told Marconi -wireless was a phony ---its the same old cry..

Yep... I feel a song coming on..(sorry about mixing my metaphors..)

THanks guys...will keep you posted.. luv luv luv :^ :^ :^ :D
Spirited!

Teo
Good Friend

Post by Teo » June 28, 2007, 7:28 am

spirited wrote: So my dream is to continue to "create" the learning communities I envisage, where children can be free to pursue their dreams with support and encouragement, where real learning takes place. Where the culture is cooperative not competetive... where talents can rise and rise!!! Where love ,compassion, empathy is not treated with disdain or "fear". Where students and teachers can laugh and connect.. and the learning can really begin!!!! :)
Amen!

So beautifully said! Aaaahhhh creative kids...

Sending you every positive vibe I can! I'll share my dream and it is pretty similar. Teaching music is always such a joy. "cooperative not competetive" boy u sed it!!! The "reality shows" are so inane in all being about being voted out, by know-nothing judges, the worst aspects of competition! You dream is so clear and brilliant! Shining!

Love and *LIGHT* *BEING*, Teo ;)

spirited
Fellow Traveler

Post by spirited » August 9, 2007, 5:38 pm

Namaste

Part of dream fulfilled. Found a new "learning community" with like minded souls as the adminisrators of the school. Start next week.

This school is cool. :p :D: The Universe heard and delivered....

Ah..inspirtional.
Spirited
Spirited!

Lion~*
Everything In Moderation

Post by Lion~* » August 9, 2007, 7:08 pm

Right On ((((Spirited)))) !!! That is fabulous news! ;b :D: May your teaching reap resounding notes of delight with huge ripple effect!

Love Lion~*MayThisChangeOfTuneBringWonderfulMelodySoonPaw
Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart...William Wordsworth

Follow your honest convictions, and stay strong. - William Thackeray

The bottom line, especially for my character,
is the issue of unconditional love.”
Matthew Weeden

supriya
Fellow Traveler

Post by supriya » August 13, 2007, 1:44 am

Nice post,

“The Dreams are not what you see in sleep.

Dreams are the things which does not let you sleep”

Post Reply < PreviousNext >