Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

To teach beautiful music, and composition

A place for great spirits to share their most beautiful dreams.
Teo
Good Friend

Post by Teo » June 28, 2007, 7:59 am

Hi and thanks for this heavensent opportunity to share,

I dream to make as much music education available as possible!

I used to want to write a book "Pipe Dreams" about my experiences playing in bands, they were Salsa, Reggae, Soca=Soul Calypso, African, Fusion and such. I have so many stories, usually about crooked or just foolish people, mistreating musicians... waaahh!! I realized though, even with names changed, people will know who I am referring to and I'd get in trouble!

Turning that frown upside down, the other side of that same coin is: there is so much less budget for music programs in schools, and there are many unemployed musicians... hmmm....

There must be a way to integrate these two! I'm working to make some existing music of mine into "Music Culture Studies" here are the existing 'lessons:'
http://webpageexperience.com/doc/worldsou.doc
http://webpageexperience.com/doc/spiritto.doc
http://webpageexperience.com/doc/purelove.doc
http://webpageexperience.com/doc/funkismm.doc
http://webpageexperience.com/doc/jumpupst.doc
I'm planning to get a color lazer printer and make lots of these and get them into various libraries. I want to make a complete studies book that has them and more.

Some of the smaller examples of "budget music lessons" that can help where there isn't the budget for music classes:

Clave sticks are really important in any "latin" music, salsa, rumba, tango, latin jazz, etc.. A class project can be, kids get used drumsticks from drummers they like, and in the class they are cut in 1/2, sanded, maybe painted cute colors, and they have little clave sticks. This way they aren't too loud!

Believe it or not there are many lessons and things about percussions that take hours, even months and years, and these little clavitas are perfect! I can see bedridden people, kids, learning to "be tight" in their timing and having fun percussion interactions.

Another is something my Berkeley Rumbero friends used to do: there are bass singing patterns, one person does that, then another person does a middle type of pattern, and another sings a solo line over it. This doesn't even have ANY instrument cost at all! There are a lot of really fun lessons in "barbershop quarted" or "doo-wop" or whatever you want to call it.

In Flamenco, Salsa, Rhumba and many other forms there are interactive things that can be done to inspire kids and have them included. Phil Pazmanic a friend in SF made a Rhumba out of Old MacDonald and the kids choose animals, Flamenco Allegrias everyone can have a turn, at a proud "turn!" Ta-da!!!

I'm now studying classical music, and I find the lessons about the masters to be the missing life-lessons I needed to learn. Dear dear Schubert, never owned a piano, invented a type of Lieder-Sung songs, some of the most beautiful symphonies, poor guy, syphilis - keep safe! Bach "tempered" the instruments - that is a huuuge conversation, but after him, one horn could play in any key! That must have ruffled feathers, but allowed all to play!!!! Love you Johan Sebastian!! Dear Wolfgang, dad sent him out in infancy to perform! Still one of the greatest ever, though in a paupers grave :( Poor Ludwig went deaf :( :( and when he finished his 9th, he was too poor to buy a suit good enough to conduct it... boo hoo! He may have been the greatest composer, but he didn't play life all that well! Strauss, now that's a hero, a golden statue on his grave!

Learning about the masters I have learned that popularity and true longevity (of the music, well the players too) are almost polar opposites. Swan Lake was a flop at first! Now, the standard for beautiful ballet. Many hated creations, later are the most honored. So, pop... is... like pop corn (ha ha!!), anyway, art that is truly valuable, and lasts, is different than what "mass culture" likes. And not burning out, is a great lesson, for all of us, actually.

So my big dream, is that I can create music lessons for specific styles, like the '.doc' files I listed above, and also somehow formulate the life's lessons learned from reading about St. George (the black Mozart), Chopin, Paganini, Liszt, Verdi, Debussy, Rach. and so on, into a healthy, happy, creative liveliness living book on how to play life well.

I learned from the old Dr. Deepak Chopra discussions a phrase: "May I not be in the way of my art." and I have taken this to heart. I'm shifted from performer to composer, and cleaned up lots of funky jazzy "rough" music from my past into nice presentations. I am going to apply at a conservatory soon, and perhaps try publishing, copyrighting and self-publishing some other musicians, hopefull this can afford me to produce my "How to be in Harmony" master guide, with sections that can be courses at various levels, in various styles.

Wish me luck.

Peace (of music)

Teo Barry Vincent IV

Lion~*
Everything In Moderation

Post by Lion~* » June 28, 2007, 8:32 pm

Sounds like music to my ears ((((Teo)))) ;b I most certainly wish you well! :D:

Love Lion~*GiveMeRhythmeOneNoteAtATimePaw
Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart...William Wordsworth

Follow your honest convictions, and stay strong. - William Thackeray

The bottom line, especially for my character,
is the issue of unconditional love.”
Matthew Weeden

Teo
Good Friend

Post by Teo » June 29, 2007, 5:42 pm

Hi,
Thank you ever so, Liony! :D

I have to tell you, I've been networking and sharing my music in discussions like crazy for the last month, and KeyboardPlayer mag's discussions called me spam, got me so sad and frustrated - when all I was doing was sharing some of my classical piano playing and a continuous MIDI play design http://WebPageExperience.com/mid/PlayMidiClassical.htm so I said to myself: "dear dear self, why be abused! go where love overflows!"

Very sensibly, I came here. I saw some really beautiful dreams, and the greatest gift: I decided to articulate mine clearly! :^

Next thing you know, I have shared this in a few piano, classical and music forums, and gotten really great feedback! - one person mentioned saving tin cans to use as drums... whatever works! :0:

I'm just reflecting the awesome positive vibes that I get from you and all here. XOXOXO Hugs and kisses!

Love and *LIGHT*BEING*, Teo Do (Re, Mi, Far....) ;)

Ericc
Fellow Traveler

Post by Ericc » July 1, 2007, 8:23 am

Keep doing what you're doing Teo...you know why
you're doing it.
And that's the most important thing.
Thanks for sharing!
And the inspiration.

Love,
Eric
Ericc

sctshep
Fellow Traveler

Post by sctshep » July 3, 2007, 3:12 pm

Teo
I sata next to a woman from San Francisco who is doing what you talk about (at least a little) with art. You are on to something. She started small. First school was free and then others began noticing and she is very busy and it is not free at all. People are bugging her to franchise herself. You've got a good idea
Scott
Scott Sheperd Ph.D
Strategies to get you through illness and loss
www.rainbowshappen.com
Strategies to keep you sane in crazy times
www.mystresscoach.com

spirited
Fellow Traveler

Post by spirited » July 7, 2007, 2:30 pm

Hi Teo,

Thanks for your contribution to my dream.. and your beautiful words of encouragement...we really are fellow travellers...
I visited your pages and what joy!!! You jumping around with children making music.. so cool... may you have many bright moments such as these luv luv

Like you I am a performer and I love performing! Ditto..one could write a book but our energy would be depleted by connecting with some of the negatives we have obviously encountered... but those obstacles were actually our teachers...and I am beginning to see that now..

Teo my friend, you have done the work, your website and doc files show it...and your music and your ideas are beautiful...

I love the Deepak Chopra quote "may I not be in the way of my art"
and I am hearing it loud and clear...

I'm wondering ...your dream is so close.... if you went to the conservatory perhaps this might delay you for awhile... remembering of course that conservatory's can be very traditional in approach... and may encumber you... remember in my dream I teach high school and that is my focus...in junior school the kids are "allowed" to be creative... as soon as they hit high school (in Australia at least) the students are expected to leave their joy behind and become "academic". Its a neck up approach... Total lunacy... the grand killer of creativity....

No doubt the conservatory" may" offer you something...but..you are already thinking "outside the square"... bureacratic approaches to music... elitism, competition etc.... may well unconsciously try to knock you back into the square...a different evolution.. ya know what I mean!!!

I think Scott is right... franchise your idea...there are many that feel like us..remember...

No doubt.... you need a franchise in Australia? :cool: ;b and perhaps if I can help you might even visit???

The world awaits Teo...

Love, kisses and respect xxxx

Spirited!!!

Feels like your ready to fly.... :) ;b :D:
Spirited!

spirited
Fellow Traveler

Post by spirited » July 7, 2007, 2:30 pm

Hi Teo,

Thanks for your contribution to my dream.. and your beautiful words of encouragement...we really are fellow travellers...
I visited your pages and what joy!!! You jumping around with children making music.. so cool... may you have many bright moments such as these luv luv

Like you I am a performer and I love performing! Ditto..one could write a book but our energy would be depleted by connecting with some of the negatives we have obviously encountered... but those obstacles were actually our teachers...and I am beginning to see that now..

Teo my friend, you have done the work, your website and doc files show it...and your music and your ideas are beautiful...

I love the Deepak Chopra quote "may I not be in the way of my art"
and I am hearing it loud and clear...

I'm wondering ...your dream is so close.... if you went to the conservatory perhaps this might delay you for awhile... remembering of course that conservatory's can be very traditional in approach... and may encumber you... remember in my dream I teach high school and that is my focus...in junior school the kids are "allowed" to be creative... as soon as they hit high school (in Australia at least) the students are expected to leave their joy behind and become "academic". Its a neck up approach... Total lunacy... the grand killer of creativity....

No doubt the conservatory" may" offer you something...but..you are already thinking "outside the square"... bureacratic approaches to music... elitism, competition etc.... may well unconsciously try to knock you back into the square...a different evolution.. ya know what I mean!!!

I think Scott is right... franchise your idea...there are many that feel like us..remember...

No doubt.... you need a franchise in Australia? :cool: ;b and perhaps if I can help you might even visit???

The world awaits Teo...

Love, kisses and respect xxxx

Spirited!!!

Feels like your ready to fly.... :) ;b :D:
Spirited!

summerrain
Beautiful Soul

Post by summerrain » July 9, 2007, 7:33 pm

teo, i look forward to checking out your websites and good luck with all the work you do. keep spreading your beautiful beats!! :D:
Life is like a coin,
You can spend it any way you wish,
but you can spend it only once"

Teo
Good Friend

Post by Teo » July 20, 2007, 11:18 am

Thanks Liony, and especially for this opportunity! ;)

Ericc!!! :D i no, i no....
spirited wrote:I visited your pages and what joy!!! You jumping around with children making music.. so cool... may you have many bright moments such as these luv luv
You can teach the Jumping Dance if you like! Get those feet "up in the air!" that way you pull certain frames and they fly!!! :)
No kiddin'! And what great lessons our .. uhm ... teachers have given us! :(

Right now my PC is freezing and my lesson is reply a little at a time.. le'see...

I'll post this reply then try to add more...

Teo
Good Friend

Post by Teo » July 20, 2007, 11:44 am

The biggest lesson has been the shift from PERFORMER to COMPOSER. In the conservatory I may take voice, composition or maybe teaching. Not piano because I am already... too opinionated!

Voice because I love to sing, and used to compose for voices, and one should be able to show one what one wants hum?

Often even just PREPARING for something like Conservatory helps one get one's life together, and this post, this DREAM, this "conversation" is really helping me get my skills and project plans together! :)

The lesson I mentioned just above, I learned that and many other ones from reading about the great composers. I really feel that I have a much better awareness and insight, and also super improved preparedness for my own life of composing!!!

Liszt wasn't taken seriously as a composer because he was such a wizard performer... sound familiar? People have to do rather silly things to be popular, I call it:

PLAYING POPULARITY

instead of

PLAYING MUSIC

and there are valid reasons, if you have to. Like, if you need to support your family. Similar in acting, or visual art.

WE DON'T WANT TO BE VAN GOGH, TOTAL POVERTY AND RUIN DURING LIFE, THEN PAINTINGS LATER SELL FOR 100,000!!!!!

But we don't want to have to compromise our true ideals, our respect for traditions and integrity, kapisch? In one sense, the supposed successes of like, Rap artists, seem so shallow, and people I admire, who worked with them, didn't fare well, like Roger Troutman...

At one point when I was in Oakland, I stopped playing all the bluesy, flamenco latin crying songs, stuck to major chord, resolving and beautiful pieces, and guess what happened? The things in my life that were dissonant and sad.... stopped!

I now believe you can make the soundtrack to your life - I often hear a song I'm working on throughout the day - lately Pathetique by Beethoven or Suger Plum Fairy by Tchaikovsky - and I keep that song happy and positive... I truly believe "the movie will match the soundtrack!"

I believe the most "franchising" I'll be doing is sharing the ideas in forums like this. Which is fine for me. Many people are hand-to-mouth and stressing to "sell" their art, or projects, to meet expenses and such... more power to them! I'm in a laid back, woodshedding mode, perfecting my skills, techniques, goals, plans, directions and even target markets...

Dreaming out loud, and you angels encouraging me (careful! :( he he..), has really helped me develop this goal and fine tune the intentions, if you know what I mean. It doesn't sound "normal" to say to people: "I don't care about popularity, I want my music to be available for the future." People simply don't understand the highly evolved reasons for a statement like that.

You all, supporting and consoling, encouraging and dialoging angels... boyo, u r truly heavensent!!! ;) ;)

I almost feel like... we are in a future IMPROMPTU CLINIC I will be holding, and I'm helping each person ... manifest their sound, their solo or original concept into the collective, u c, teaching people to improvise is really like a Guru teaching someone to "simply BE."

But in this world, where a beggar with a bowl is criminalized, where charlaitans make bazillions off of gullable "followers," including pop artists and fans... to find a way to be useful, helpful, help awaken the gifts and magic of the inner self to students and all... like ballet through a minefield! Maybe not as dangerous, but the popularity prizes, the back-stabbing fake smile supporters, the commercialization of spontaneous sharing of music soul feeling love...

It is reeeeeeally great to be able to share these quests with kindred souls, kind friends who'll lend an impartial ear (eye? knows? he he..) and let one GET IT ALL OUT so that one can be prepared and protected from the popularity seductresses... and keep on the highest path, following the plan for sharing the most to the most - who will appreciate it!

THANKS GOOGOLS YOU ALL!!!!

Looooooove and *LIGHT* *BEING*, Teo Do (Re, Mi, Fa, Soul...) ;)

Post Reply < PreviousNext >