Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

Stop This Train...

This is an open forum - a friendly place to meet other great spirits and discuss whatever's on your mind.
Ron Atchison
Inspiration Peak

Post by Ron Atchison » January 13, 2009, 10:28 pm

I was driving home from the airport last night and I heard a song on the radio called 'Stop This Train' by John Mayer about a young man who is feeling a little overwhelmed by how fast his life is flying by and he just wants to 'stop the train' and go home again.

For some reason, I got a little emotional... probably because my parents are getting older and my dad's been having some health issues and life is just flying by and I wish so much there was a 'pause' button I could push because, right now at least, everything feels like it's moving a little bit too fast.

There's a part in the song where John goes up to his father and says 'help me understand'.... and his dad basically says, 'when you turn 68, you re-negotiate... don't stop the train... and don't for a minute change the place you're in. There's no way we can ever stop this train.'

Anyway... I just wanted to share this experience with you... maybe I'm curious to see how many of you have ever felt this way.

If you get a chance, listen to the song... it really is beautiful.

With love (and several suitcases ;-)

Ron

PS... Here's a video I found on YouTube with the lyrics...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BTzNX5OMN4[/youtube]

C
Fellow Traveler
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by C » January 15, 2009, 6:34 am

Wow, I am crying now as I prepare to drive to nursing school. This was a blessing for me today.
One of yesterday's lectures was on the HIPPA laws and how we are not supposed to share info with family members. We must never let our laws interfere with our humanity and realize that our patient is someone's mother, father, sister, or brother and the family is asking questions because they care. We must treat them as gently as we treat our patient.

I have felt like this, I affirm your pain and wishing you could push 'pause.' I have often wished there was a button like this. Also the part in the song where he appreciates a wonderful moment where everything was as it used to be, yet cries as he drives home in the dark, because it is bittersweet, these 'moments' do not come all the time.

When stressed, I sing a little ditty to myself and my children outloud- 'a couple more hours in the day Lord, please give me just a couple more hours in my day.'
It seems that with life's obligations, we are not where our heart is, I dont want to be at school, at work, I want to be home with my children, savoring every precious moment. For I know that they are fleeting and today is a present, tomorrow may not be here.

However, I do also appreciate that I am blessed, as are you, Ron, to have people in my life that I care this deeply about.

Ron Atchison
Inspiration Peak

Post by Ron Atchison » January 19, 2009, 4:25 pm

Just wanted to say thank you for the reply Cindy... I've had a couple days to think about things and I think, for this one moment at least, I'm at peace with the world again.

Back when I was a kid my biggest fear in the world was losing one of my parents. I remember being like six years old praying to God that if He had to take somebody, to please take me first because I wouldn't be strong enough to deal with it.

Here I am in my forties and I still don't know if I'm strong enough. I just trust that the strength will come when I need it.

I'm actually on my way home now... my dad's going to have a quadruple bypass surgery tomorrow and I want to be there with him. I'm sure I'll meet many nurses over the next few days... and I know I'll be appreciating everything they do to help my dad (and the rest of us) get through this.

I hope this finds you well Cindy... and good luck with your studies. Something tells me you'll be a wonderful nurse. ;)

~ Ron

Morning Bear
Beautiful Soul

Post by Morning Bear » January 19, 2009, 6:33 pm

Ron,
prayers and best thoughts are being sent to your father, you, and your family.

Yes - there have been times I've felt what you've felt and I've learned through it all, that perhaps we can't stop the train, but I've also learned that we do have a great deal of control over it, because "it" is our life.
From that perspective, the good Doctor Dooley goes over those ideas with us in his Infinite Possibility themes a number of times.

And so, my thoughts are that the song is catchy and undoubtedly from from a very human perspective that is basically saying we have no control over the train -
However, in (my) thoughts, and from my experiences, we have nearly total control of what the Universe (in my interpretation - God) brings into our lives (the train).

So keep your Dad thinking positively during his recuperation and his thoughts on all the goodness that he can share and bring into his life yet. We all run our own engines, but it doesn't mean that our fellow lives in this world can't have an effect on the chief engineer or how he runs his train in the future (the next second).

From what I know of you - I'm thinking your dad has a lot of miles to go yet on his track.
And Cindy is absolutely correct in her statement that you are blessed to have him and other lives in your life that you care so much about.
I hope that I've made some sense -
I just want you to remind you that we have a great deal of control, and wanted you to know that my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Love to you and your family and many blessings,

Zane
For me to believe in you doesn't require that you believe in me,...it only simply requires that you know and thus become all that you are meant to be. MB

Ames
Fellow Traveler
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Ames » January 25, 2009, 4:40 am

Between July and October of 2008 my family had 3 weddings and 2 funerals. One of the deaths was my grandfather. The other was my youngest sister’s husband of less than a month. He died in a fatal one car accident. That is probably the hardest thing we’ve ever had to deal with. You know he’s 2 months younger than I am. Talk about a wake up call; a realization about how fragile life really is.
We had know for a couple of years that Grandpa was going to die soon. In some ways it is easier than my brother in laws death because we had some time to say goodbye and some time to grieve. I remember being very upset when my Mother told me that Grandpa had had a heart attack and she was flying out to see him. Most of my extended family live in Utah and Idaho so I am lucky if I get to see then once every year or two. I knew that I would probably never see my grandpa in this world again. Mom helped me put together a videotape for her to take to him and tell him I love him and such and he sent me a tape back. For me that was all the goodbye I ever got but it helped a lot.
I think sometimes this song applies to no just dying but living too. Sometimes its easier just to stop everything or we just don't feel ready to move on. Life can be pretty scary especially when you are not quite sure what will happen next.

Space
Beautiful Soul

Post by Space » January 26, 2009, 5:09 pm

Dear Ron, I get in to say something about the daily inspirational emails!! you keep them coming! WOW That is really lovely, nice and warm! But got this from you ... I lost my father in 2007....
When I knew there was nothing I could do for my father, I panic. Fear is not enough word to describe the feeling and vertigo. After the shock, I had to lie, could not tell him he was dying … the biggest tribulation was his pain but I could not cure him nor help him to die. Could not offer him a choice … when he finally die without much pain, I felt blessed.
We can´t stop the train,true ........ there is no choice …
Love
Virginia

lupinelinda
Beautiful Soul

Post by lupinelinda » January 27, 2009, 3:26 pm

Dear Ron,

As the Universe would say...there are no coincidents in life!

My Dad died last March, my mom two weeks ago. The strength to keep going comes from within yourself. It is there now, waiting.

I believe that, while we can't stop the train, we can do our very best to see that it runs smoothly on this track towards the next existence.

I will be praying for your Dad, you and your family. Be in the moment...there is no place else.

Love and Peace, Linda

Naturelover
Good Friend

Post by Naturelover » January 27, 2009, 6:29 pm

I too, Ron, have wanted to "stop this train". I have been on the circuit for 3 years and counting - since Hurricane Katrina destroyed my life as I knew it. I lost my home and my business in a flash, and have since also lost my husband, my second, and my third home, I really want the train to stop.

I have been out of touch with the Peak since September, but am back and running now. Still in the same place, rebuilding yet again, and richer but road weary for the experiences. The important thing for me, at least, is that I am where I want to be. I would love to have it all back, but know that the bad times have helped make me a better person. I don't feel sorry for myself, or regret the time I have spent in limbo - I prefer to believe that all of the bad is leading me to a better place, and part of that better place is right here at the Peak.

Ron Atchison
Inspiration Peak

Post by Ron Atchison » February 6, 2009, 10:15 pm

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your loving and thoughtful replies... and let you know my dad is recuperating very well after his surgery.

It's pretty amazing really. A month ago, my father didn't think he'd make it through the year... and now it appears he may have ten or twenty more of them! Of course, we never know, do we? All we can do is make the best of each and every day because there are only so many of them.

I love you guys... ;)

Ron

Space
Beautiful Soul

Post by Space » February 17, 2009, 10:53 am

Glad to hear it!!Celebrate, every new day is worth of celebration
YEAH!

:D:
Love
Virginia

Post Reply < PreviousNext >