Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

VOTE: which is more important, intelligence or a good heart?

This is an open forum - a friendly place to meet other great spirits and discuss whatever's on your mind.
flyingrabbit
Beautiful Soul
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by flyingrabbit » September 7, 2009, 7:25 pm

Sure it's better to have both..
but if we can't, which is better, INTELLIGENCE or A GOOD HEART?

or to make it clearer,
intelligence without a good heart, or a good heart without intelligence?

Please share your thoughts here :)
Thank you so much

Love,
melia

lupinelinda
Beautiful Soul

Post by lupinelinda » September 8, 2009, 4:19 pm

I would always go with "have a good heart." I think intelligence is over-rated. :) In my many years of life, I have met the most incredible people with good hearts. They didn't need intelligence because their hearts led them to where they needed to be.

One of the saddest things to see is someone with great intelligence who has lost the ability to connect with others. Without Heart, we are nothing.

Love and Peace to all! Linda

BigPeteH
Beautiful Soul

Post by BigPeteH » September 9, 2009, 2:12 am

I would like to suggest that a good heart and intelligence are one and the same thing.

Society frequently mistakes 'intellect' for 'intelligence'.

One is the gathering of more and more book-knowledge by the brain. The other is a deep understanding of the interconnectedness of all things, an ability to see 'the big picture' from a universal perspective, and the ability to respond effectively in the moment to whatever situation presents itself, taking into account our the interdependence of all living things, including the planet that sustains us.

Some would describe intelligence as 'knowing' and intellect as 'knowledge'. Intellect is in the brain. Intelligence is in the heart.

Let us celebrate loving intelligence.

lupinelinda
Beautiful Soul

Post by lupinelinda » September 9, 2009, 4:13 am

Very wise words, Pete! I agree, whole-heartedly! :D:

Love and Light, Linda

BigPeteH
Beautiful Soul

Post by BigPeteH » September 9, 2009, 4:25 am

If we look at all the other life forms with which we share the Earth, all of whom possess no 'intellect' at all, we can see that they all still possess 'intelligence' which helps them to survive and thrive and this is expressed in a wonderful myriad of different ways.

How beautiful it is, too. :)

Perhaps we humans should not be so eager to replace our natural intelligence with intellect. Perhaps that is the arrogant folly that has put the very planet that sustains our species and every other in grave peril.

flyingrabbit
Beautiful Soul
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by flyingrabbit » September 9, 2009, 6:22 pm

Thanks for your responses..
yes, very wise and interesting thought, Pete!
however, if the question was "intellect" or "a good heart" (as Pete suggested), then i agree with Linda.. A good heart is the most important..

i posted this question because recently i met someone who thought he was the smartest person on earth, and he had no respect to other people. then i thought deeper, looks like there were more and more intellect people nowadays, and less and less people with good heart. so i was just curious, actually what do people think as priority now, being smart (intellect) or being a good person..

not in this forum though.. when i posted the question here, i guessed i already knew what kind of answers i would get :)

Love,
melia

BigPeteH
Beautiful Soul

Post by BigPeteH » September 10, 2009, 1:44 am

Hi Melia

I agree with you both. The mind is useful for some daily tasks which require logic, categorisation and separation. Beyond that, it is best rested.

Western societies champion intellect, scientific knowledge and the pursuit of status and power above all else. If this doesn't change, it will be their downfall.

Many of us believe that it already is changing for the better. The recent shake up of economies has made people assess their priorities.

I know the kind of person you are talking about. I will admit that when I was younger, I probably was that kind of person. How proud I was of my certificates and medals. How annoying I must have been to converse with! I so needed to be right. It was at the expense of being happy. It was at the expense of relationships. All those could be sacrificed, so long as I was right.

The good news is that when big egos are dropped, a big hole is left for the light of truth to shine through.

Unfortunately our education systems mostly encourage competition and striving to 'be someone', rather than cooperation and loving and accepting who we are unconditionally. Until that changes, many big egos will continue to be built.

Thanks for a great question.

flyingrabbit
Beautiful Soul

Post by flyingrabbit » September 10, 2009, 6:47 pm

wow.. thanks for a great opinion, Pete! :)

you really got a point there.. you also taught us a really good lesson. moreover, you added it with your own experience and how you changed your egos later. it's much harder and much more meaningful than always being a good person all the time.

i believe that people like you are those who can change many people's lives. God bless you, brother! :)

Love,
melia

lifeboat
Beautiful Soul

Post by lifeboat » November 18, 2009, 1:26 am

My initial response was a good heart for the reasons already shared. Then on reflection "it depends" seemed a better answer. Having a good heart is one talent humans can bring to the universe. So is having a good intellect. I prefer a world in which we all feel equal - irrespective. If I need emotional support I would turn to a fellow traveller with a good heart but if i need a crossword solved i might seek someone with a good intellect. Sorry if this is ducking the issue.

Space
Beautiful Soul

Post by Space » November 21, 2009, 6:11 pm

Oops! what a coffee table do you have here!!
Pete .........I take my hat off !!
we used to associate Intelligence with knowledge-information-memory. I think intelligence is not even the intellect, it is the ability to observe, to listen, to see.. most of the native people, without books, created a culture from those qualities. I also met many good hearted people without a high IQ but intelligent in there way of living.
Perhaps that is the Q Melia, is it better a good heart or a high IQ? …ahhh perhaps there we have different measurement .. J .. how do you measure a good heart? On the other hand we have the statistic that measure your IQ … tell you, after the third test you will rate wonderful, because you learned …;)
LORD! I am messing everything up here … will go a cup of tea next time

Post Reply < PreviousNext >