Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

Texting and driving Took My Son

This is an open forum - a friendly place to meet other great spirits and discuss whatever's on your mind.
Pollie
Beautiful Soul

Post by Pollie » June 4, 2010, 11:47 am

I have been through great times and troubled times with all of you. I have not been able to share my sorrow, except for Dear Lion who called me a few weeks back and then my post to "Grieving"just the other day.

I lost my 17 year old son April 23, to a car accident. At the time there was no evidence that he was doing anything wrong other than that he had lost control of the vehicle on his way to school. For weeks I tossed and turned everynight trying to figure out what had caused him to loose control, was he texting, playing with the radio, something jumped out in front of him. Phone records did not indicate that he had been texting. The eve of his death a little gal friend of his began texting me 3, 4, 5 times a day. Last week I found out that he was in fact texting, phone records were lost because we had to reset the password to get on it, and that she was the one he was texting to. They had been texting since 6 am. He died at 7:10 am. I live close enough that I had heard the sirons, and some how I knew it was him, for he had just left 10 minutes earlier.
On his way to school in reply to a text she sent at 7:06 am.............
He lost his life for one word

DRIVING

He was 5 min. from school. Where was the urgency. We often ignore the news warnings when things like this happen to people we don't know. But I implore you now as I sit here, breathless, lifeless, full of such pain and agony, going through the wish I had ofs, what ifs and guilt, to talk to your children, friends and families. Don't do it. Stress it, push it , take their phones away, make them mad whatever it takes.

He was a good kid, never in trouble never rebelious. He had made me a promise, I believed him. Don't accept the promises, the tempations are far to great. He was a protector of hearts and souls and smiled more than I did, and I always smiled, something I can not seem to find right now. So if through this and all of you we can reach even one person, one heart maybe we can save even just one life. His death will not be in vain.

IN LOVING MEMORY OF MY SON
RICHARD DARIN JOHNSON
3/27/93-4/23/2010

Pollie
Last edited by Pollie on June 8, 2010, 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The future has a way of putting in front of us, that which we most wish to leave behind" Unknown

Ames
Fellow Traveler

Post by Ames » June 4, 2010, 7:04 pm

Oh ((((((Pollie))))). I am so sorry to hear about your dear son. Know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers. You are so right about not texting or talking on the phone or other distractions while driving. I am so sorry that you have had to pay so steep a price.

Love
Amy

Ron Atchison
Inspiration Peak

Post by Ron Atchison » June 8, 2010, 10:33 am

The right words are hard to come by in times like this... but I want you to know Pollie that I've been thinking and praying for you and your son all week.

May God's strength and courage be with you now more than ever. Remember to be gentle with yourself and trust that there is a higher plan and that we will all be re-united with our loved ones one day soon.

Also Pollie... I want to thank you for sharing Darin's story with us. I've already shared it with my nephew and will do the same with every young person I know.

(((((With love, )))))

Ron
Last edited by Ron Atchison on June 8, 2010, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pollie
Beautiful Soul

Post by Pollie » June 8, 2010, 10:34 am

Thank you Amy,

My only hope is that this message will reach lots of parents and teens. That some how, some way together we can help prevent others from going through this. The county sheriffs dept. is doing a distracted driving seminar and several of the county schools including the one my son attended. I am doing a video feed so that they may see the sorrow it actually causes. My brother is going to talk at some of the schools in Ohio, my cousin in GA and a friend in NV and they are going to use the same video feed. I am not sure I will make it through the video tapping of it but I have to try, for the sake of all of you and your children. I know that Opra has been pushing this and I would like to do a little part in this trend to save lives. Darin would want this, I know in my heart he would.

Love Pollie
"The future has a way of putting in front of us, that which we most wish to leave behind" Unknown

Lion~*
Everything In Moderation

Post by Lion~* » June 8, 2010, 10:49 pm

(((((((((My Dear Friend)))))))))) I know when we talked you didn't know how to speak about this openly. I am proud of you for living with courageous strength your loving mother heart and getting this important message out here to the world Peak viewers and beyond. Most likely you won't make it through the video feed without having your heartbreak shatter renewed... and that is what will be carried with each person who witnesses you speaking of your beloved son Darin! It is what will stop them from flipping their phones on!!!
I do believe that your precious "protector of hearts and souls" will continue to do just that! It is your unshakable love that is enabling this to happen! I am honored to know Darin's Mom! You honor him so fully!!!!
I continue to pray you through and enfold you in love daily! xo Janice
Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart...William Wordsworth

Follow your honest convictions, and stay strong. - William Thackeray

The bottom line, especially for my character,
is the issue of unconditional love.”
Matthew Weeden

Pollie
Beautiful Soul

Post by Pollie » June 19, 2010, 10:43 am

Thank you Ron and Lion,

I hope your nephew takes heed Ron. Thank you for your prayers. Not sure of a higher plan. My faith though I try to turn to God as once it was immovable, I struggle ever so. I wonder often why he spared me from my battle against cancer to now live through this.

And Lion, you were right. I did not make it through the video feed easily. Not sure when it will be complete. Planning to take it to the schools soon.

Love Pollie

Morning Bear
Beautiful Soul

Post by Morning Bear » June 20, 2010, 5:45 am

Dear Pollie,
I am so sad to hear your news - God be with you dear one.
I thought the best thing I could do was to follow Ron's lead and pass your story on so that others might know and perhaps save the life of someone they love.
You are very precious for sharing this with us and those of us who know your heart and the beauty with which you write understand where your sons smile and his big heart came from and understand the the loss you feel.
Prayers and Cares in every way,

Zane
For me to believe in you doesn't require that you believe in me,...it only simply requires that you know and thus become all that you are meant to be. MB

Hawkeye
Beautiful Soul

Post by Hawkeye » June 30, 2010, 12:35 am

My deepest sympathies, Pollie, and as much love and light as I can muster I send to you.

Know this, also: We only hear on the nightly news when things go badly, never the good news. But even though you'll never hear about it, rest assured that you can begin counting today the young lives you'll save by sharing this story.

Now I gotta run ... there's something I need to send to my daughter.

(((((((Love and Light))))))))

Pollie
Beautiful Soul

Post by Pollie » August 29, 2010, 7:14 pm

Morning Bear and Hawkeye,

Thank you for you condolences. I appreciate that more than you know. But more than that I get goose bumps when I hear that you are spreading the news. I also know that Darin is in heaven smiling that you are trying to help others because of him. He would be proud. Someday I hope that I have can spread the news to beyond my own little world. I don't get this way often, seems I am consumed by other things, other thoughts. Hopefully I will get beyond this soon and visit more often. I am currently stuck between nowhere and somewhere, struggling to get out. But with all the prayers and people that think about us often, I am certain that I will find that way.

Love to you both, to all at the peak
Pollie

Muchoki
Beautiful Soul

Post by Muchoki » September 13, 2010, 4:29 am

Dear Pollie,

My heart goes out to you for your loss. Take comfort in the fact that you will be re-united with him one day.

And I take a pledge today to personally never text while driving.
As footsteps shies the front,
preferring the wake to decorate,
my life i pray,
shall acquire similar character.

Post Reply < PreviousNext >