Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

I Promise Myself

This is an open forum - a friendly place to meet other great spirits and discuss whatever's on your mind.
Post Reply < PreviousNext > [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ladybird
Beautiful Soul
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by ladybird » July 21, 2010, 6:00 pm

Sunshine surrounds the earth as love surrounds our souls. ~Amethyst Snow-Rivers

mwzephyr
Beautiful Soul
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by mwzephyr » July 24, 2010, 1:42 pm

Thanks I like this!!!

Lion~*
Everything In Moderation

Post by Lion~* » July 25, 2010, 2:45 pm

I can't promise myself to be all that all the time . I am too imperfect and real to live up to this kind of pressure! I can strive to do my utmost.... but I know there are times it isn't possible... I break, I bleed raw emotions and I've already experienced being burnt out trying to be all for all... it doesn't work. Living and giving from the integral depths of my soul's intent... not the crowded expectation demanded by others... is truly living me. I don't have to promise and prove anything. All my life I gave and I give still what is within my soul. Never perfect but with loving intent. And yes! sometimes I've given pain from the shattered brokeness I have felt! We all have times when we are judged harshly... it is I alone who knows I have been honest and given what I have, what I know, what is me. All I have ever asked for is to be loved.

Unconditional. What a word. This write up is so full of promises I know I am not humanly able to be at all times. It doesn't make me conditional. Makes me real. Makes me honest. Makes me accept myself to the core of my soul as I have indeed done. It was amazing to find myself and know how honestly unconditional I have been throughout my life. How consistantly honest I have been with my longings, my givings, my striving, conquering, failing, persevering, burning out, bursting back to vital life. Others demanding me to prove myself. Prove what? I was myself always. I was honest always... honestly strong, courageous, determined, indomitable and honestly scared to death! honestly too uncertain of my own worth! honestly longing for acceptance and peace from others. I never had it till I accepted the whole strength, fragility, naivity, unconditional trust I placed in others, the distrust I had in myself because I was under "conditions" and unaccepted for the whole true woman I am.

I know there are times I need the anger, fear, worry of today and remembrance of past joyous memories and aching mistakes ( I actually have quite a different view and I hate the word *mistakes*... because are they mistakes? or are they just simply the brutally raw truths about living a human life honestly!) I value it all and I respect and honor all that I've lived because I have too much to learn still. I can't always be so optimistic because truth is... sometimes life just plain sucks!!! and doesn't have a positive side, though I can work through it in an optimistic manner after being swept through with its agonies! I can't always be the kind of strength expressed in this poster just so my peace of mind isn't disturbed.... my peace of mind HAS TO BE disturbed constantly so that I truly CAN be "so strong"! I'm no super human that can be all that is written! I can only be who I am and do the very best I can as I learn and grow strong and weep and feel frail.

I can't promise that kind of * Ra Ra* perfectionism. I have to live in reality and my reality says I have to feel both the positives and negatives so I can know where my point of balance is!

I promise myself to be the honest, imperfect, unique, whole version of me!

I look forward to reading what others feel after reading the poster. I realize the positive message and it's importance to strive for one's very best! I do it all the time!Yet I couldn't just read it and go... Yes! Yes! because my reality has never been so perfect a rendition nor can it be. I am very thankful to you, Ladybird, for posting it! We should be provoked to be the very best that we are!!! The fullness of reality when balanced with ALL our emotions and experiences. You can never just take the so-called Good and somehow ignore what is socially swept and stuffed away.
Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart...William Wordsworth

Follow your honest convictions, and stay strong. - William Thackeray

The bottom line, especially for my character,
is the issue of unconditional love.”
Matthew Weeden

Ames
Fellow Traveler

Post by Ames » July 27, 2010, 7:40 am

I have read this several times over the past couple of days both the original poem and Lion's response. Lion is so articulate and she has already expressed many of my own feeling about this piece so I will try to be brief.
As someone who has struggled for the past many years with a very negative self-image and depression, I find very upbeat inspirational messages, especially those that are big promises like this one, cause me to have very mixed feelings. The motivation and good feelings that they give are great. However, I often find myself feeling a lot of pressure to be perfect and to keep all those unrealistic promises. This leads for me to feel like I have failed and irrationally that I am therefore not a good person.
I think as human beings we need goals and ambitions to improve, but we also need to be realistic with those goals. I have a few guidelines that I try to follow Everyday as I learn to love myself. You could say these are my lifelong goals.

First of all I have to everyday affirm that I am OK just the way I am NOW. That it is ok to want to change things about myself and my life but that first I must accept and love myself. This is a very hard step for me and something I have to constantly work on.

I will Try a little harder to be a little better each day.
I will forgive myself for the mistakes that I make.
I will think positive thoughts about myself and others. ( I try to replace each negative thought I have about myself or others with 2 compliments)
I will be kinder to myself and others.
I will learn to have inner peace and happiness so that eventually I can share that peace and happiness with others.
I will get up every time I fall and learn to stop obsessing about my "failures.

I am much happier right now in my life than I have been for a long time. I have been able to get off of anti-depressive medications, though I doubt that my battle with depression is over; I have found that when I am kinder to myself and more realistic about my expectations I am happier and able to do more for my self and others.

Morning Bear
Beautiful Soul

Post by Morning Bear » July 27, 2010, 10:26 am

There are not too many times in life when I am not being an optimistic person (which by the way I prefer over being realistic).
However, there are different paths to optimism or to any goal you wish to reach in life.
Understanding this full well - please know that I have also at a time in my life sunk to the point where I thought walking away and ending it all would be the best thing I could do for the rest of humanity - yet deep inside I knew this was just a selfish reaction for not wanting to face things I needed to face.
Once faced; it was my contention that I would face the rest of my life optimistically and smile even when life hurt.
I received that same post from the Secret, and the way I looked at it was not overly passionate.
Like you dear Lion - one day at a time, one try at a time, one smile at a time, loving as many friends and family as possible all the while. There is nothing on the list that can't be done and it just can't be done all at once. Maybe it eludes to that - but what little realism I have says to me that maybe on my best day I will do it, but I'll just keep smiling in the meanwhile.
Love and Blessings,

Zane
For me to believe in you doesn't require that you believe in me,...it only simply requires that you know and thus become all that you are meant to be. MB

Lion~*
Everything In Moderation

Post by Lion~* » July 27, 2010, 10:15 pm

Being a realist certainly doesn't mean I am not an optimist!
Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart...William Wordsworth

Follow your honest convictions, and stay strong. - William Thackeray

The bottom line, especially for my character,
is the issue of unconditional love.”
Matthew Weeden

lifeboat
Beautiful Soul

Post by lifeboat » July 28, 2010, 12:56 am

I will try and respond more fully later... meanwhile I like Lion;s response.. it reminds me of the words of 'Feathered Tiger' by Kaleidoscope which have stayed with me for 39 years: "we said do not worry - there is no need to change, to be yourself is beautiful, to be anyone else is strange'...

lifeboat
Beautiful Soul

Post by lifeboat » July 28, 2010, 12:59 am

PS - I also love the aspirations in Ladybird's poster.. and the 'i will not beat myself up for past mistakes' if read as meaning 'nor any future shortcomings either'

Post Reply < PreviousNext >