Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

My new saying:

This is an open forum - a friendly place to meet other great spirits and discuss whatever's on your mind.
Post Reply < PreviousNext > [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
fredcowie
Beautiful Soul

Post by fredcowie » February 4, 2011, 5:17 am

Fred Cowie (C) 2011

"Don't talk to me now about what you are going to do later;
Do now what you are going to talk to me about later!"
Frederick J. Cowie, Ph.D. Please visit my website at fredcowie.com, my FACEBOOK(/fredcowie) page where I post my writings and my paintings every day. Peace!

c91329
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by c91329 » February 8, 2011, 3:31 pm

fredcowie wrote:Fred Cowie (C) 2011

"Don't talk to me now about what you are going to do later;
Do now what you are going to talk to me about later!"
Very well read and a good intense saying. If we try our best we'll be fine.

fredcowie
Beautiful Soul

Post by fredcowie » February 8, 2011, 3:35 pm

Chris: I find if I can put it into a good saying, I can call it to mind to keep me on track. Peace, Fred
Frederick J. Cowie, Ph.D. Please visit my website at fredcowie.com, my FACEBOOK(/fredcowie) page where I post my writings and my paintings every day. Peace!

Lion~*
Everything In Moderation
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Lion~* » February 8, 2011, 4:42 pm

If we try our best we'll be fine.
Even when I try my best... * things* are not always so fine...my best doesn't mean a fabulous outcome to all my circumstances of life...far from it!!!... but, it is true, Chris, I am fine because I know I have done my utmost!

Great saying to have running as a mantra there, Fred! It just becomes noise if there is no working substance to it. :)
Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart...William Wordsworth

Follow your honest convictions, and stay strong. - William Thackeray

The bottom line, especially for my character,
is the issue of unconditional love.”
Matthew Weeden

lifeboat
Beautiful Soul

Post by lifeboat » February 10, 2011, 1:33 am

Thanks Fred - and Chris and Janice. I resonate with the 'all you can do is do all you can' reading.
I am really glad to hear the saying struck you that way cos first off i loved it then i started to get worried. I am still a little unsure about its effect on the listener.
Wonderful if said to someone prone to procrastination.
Dangerous if said to someone trying to build up courage to ask you for much needed advice before trying something difficult and perilous. Or even someone who hasnt understood what you ask for.
I'm probably overreacting because a key part of my recovery from alcoholism has been finding the courage to talk to someone NOW about the drink I am tempted to take rather than have the drink and talk to them afterwards.

fredcowie
Beautiful Soul

Post by fredcowie » February 10, 2011, 7:31 am

Well, I mentor some folks regarding twelve step programs, athough I am not much on giving advice, but i tell those who call: Do you notice how much shorter and happier the calls are if you call BEFORE you go out and do something stupid (I don't ever use the words good, bad, right, wrong, etc. just stupid). So call whomever you call, cuz we love to be proactive and we hate to listen to post-event stuff that could have been prevented if someone had just call. Just call, it keeps those you call happy, really, trust me on this one. Why, because done there, been that! Fred

Lion~*
Everything In Moderation

Post by Lion~* » February 10, 2011, 8:37 pm

I hear what you are saying there, Lifeboat. You can't broad brush stroke life. There are always unique, fearsome and troubling circumstances that you need a trusted person to * hear and advise*.... and not just get handed... * call me when you haven't! or... get over it!* ... For the situation you are talking about... the doing is in that phone call! My experience in life is that I have precious few people to talk to about the * IT* in life or the ...What you are going through... and what you are going to do!?* But the small quantity is huge in quality! I hope you have someone reliable when you are in need. No one should ever be dropped when they need upheld!

When I read Fred's quote.... I think of several projects I've had to put on hold ... and I could ask advice and talk about how exactly I am going to challenge myself to accomplish it all.... but unless I push *myself* hard to get 'er done...nothing will change and if I kept talking about it endlessly... what would be the empty point of my voice? But... if I called you over for tea and showed you what I've done in spite of enormous extenuating circumstances... now there is something exciting and no longer daunting to talk about. :0:
Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart...William Wordsworth

Follow your honest convictions, and stay strong. - William Thackeray

The bottom line, especially for my character,
is the issue of unconditional love.”
Matthew Weeden

lifeboat
Beautiful Soul

Post by lifeboat » February 11, 2011, 12:28 am

Thank You Fred & Janice for your kind and supportive words.
I do trust you Fred. Your advice is good and wonderfully put.
And Janice I am lucky. I do have a number of people I can and do call. So far with good effect thank God.
I love your insight that 'the doing is in the phone call' :).
I also like the idea about the prize of talking about progress made... I can relate to that too.

wildfire
Fellow Traveler

Post by wildfire » March 22, 2011, 1:45 am

Fred,

I love it...makes perfect sense to me and it is a very nice succinct way of getting the message across.

Thank you for posting it.

Haydn
Use the Power Of Facebook & Youtube To Simply & Easily Make Extra Cash At Home:
http://www.stagedreview.com/

fredcowie
Beautiful Soul

Post by fredcowie » March 22, 2011, 5:21 am

it just gets to me some time. thanks, for nice comments. I see you're reading NH, well he was asked as a young man to do something for Andrew Carnegie and that book was the result a few decades later. I read it a while back, again. Try Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers for similar effect. Fred

Post Reply < PreviousNext >