Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

In One Simple Step, Help Someone Take A Million Easier Steps

This is an open forum - a friendly place to meet other great spirits and discuss whatever's on your mind.
Post Reply < PreviousNext > [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Hawkeye
Beautiful Soul
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Hawkeye » April 30, 2011, 11:08 am

"You have no idea how many people are walking around with one shoe one color, one shoe another color, one shoe one size, the other shoe a different size," said a spokesman for Soles 4 Souls.

Truth is, those are the lucky folks. Lots of people walk barefoot for miles and miles across harsh and blistering terrain every day just to get water.

"Send us ANYTHING," continued the spokesman. "Ripped up shoes, horribly stinky shoes, shoes with flapping soles - you'd be amazed what can be done with them. In some cases just recycling the eyelets into another pair can make a great pair of shoes for someone."

Do YOU have a closet or garage or basement full of old shoes? Play Santa: Stick 'em in a box and send them to someone for whom they would be the most miraculous gift, via:

http://www.soles4souls.org :xmas:

Ron Atchison
Inspiration Peak

Post by Ron Atchison » August 3, 2011, 11:54 am

I'm just now seeing this Hawkeye but it definitely brought back some memories.

A few years ago I was on the subway in Mexico City and sat across from a young boy, maybe 11 years old, who had no shoes on. His feet were filthy from walking the city streets and I could see several sores that appeared to be infected.

As we were walking off the train, I called out to him... "Dónde están tus zapatos?" (where are your shoes?) and I will never forget the way he turned around and looked me in the eye and said "No tengo." (I don't have any.)

I did what I think most people would do, reached for my wallet and pulled out enough money for the boy to buy a pair of shoes and made him promise me he would do it.

Ever since, I've wondered what it is I can do to help ensure young people like this always have access to shoes and respectable clothing. Apparently, I wasn't the only one.

I encourage everyone to visit the Soles for Souls website and see how easy it is to start a local shoe drive to benefit children who right now can only dream about having a pair of shoes to call their own.

Davidf
Beautiful Soul
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Davidf » August 13, 2011, 9:27 pm

Hawkeye,
This is a problem indeed for a lot of fols, especially those in poorer countries. And yes, Ron, if I had the money and ran into someone in that situation, especially a child, I would give him or her the money to go buy themselves shoes.
~Davidf
Have a blessed day!

Hawkeye
Beautiful Soul

Post by Hawkeye » September 30, 2011, 8:07 pm

Beautiful story, Ron.

Less dramatic, but I was thrilled to donate my shoes to shoes4soles. I had a couple of great pairs -- expensive, well-made hiking boots -- that I'd worn down to nubs by American standards. But to somebody in the third world, those shoes are going to be an amazing gift. They've been up many peaks and deep into many canyons -- but now they REALLY get to help someone live. :D:

Post Reply < PreviousNext >