Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

Dreams DO Come True ... Mine Did!:D

This is an open forum - a friendly place to meet other great spirits and discuss whatever's on your mind.
Post Reply < PreviousNext > [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Hawkeye
Beautiful Soul
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Hawkeye » September 30, 2011, 8:31 pm

I've dreamed of two things: Living on the California coast, and being a professional writer. Both have come true over the last 3 weeks.

Neither was an accident, but a great deal of fortune played a role. I've been trying to move from Denver for five years. Every time I saved a little money, there was one disaster or another. This time the appointed day arrived, and there was still money in the bank. Not much, but it promised to fill the tanks till we got here. If anything had gone wrong along the way, we would have been dead in the water, but fortune smiled, and my 15 year old Tacoma hauled 1200 pounds of travel-trailer and stuff smoothly across all the deserts and mountains.

We slept in parking lots around San Luis Obispo for a few days, looking for a place to live and jobs. There was just enough money to live for a very little while -- in fact, we ran out entirely yesterday. But by then we had a place.

While still in the parking lots, I picked up the first newspaper I laid eyes on. There was an ad: WANTED: WRITER/REPORTER. I called the number. The publisher and I had the meeting. In fact, we had a four-hour first meeting, and hit it off like ages-old friends.

Yesterday -- the day the money ran out -- I got my first paycheck. The first edition with my work in it hit the news stands today. Hopefully the link below will take you to it -- the new edition is not online as of this moment, but maybe by the time you click. If so, I wrote the column Living The American Dream, as well as the Occupy Wall Street piece and the other about the Oct 6 Movement.

I'm just astounded: All those years of hope and struggle and planning and dreaming and rejection and hopelessness and regrouping to do it all over again has finally led to the dream.

Bookmark the website, my wonderful friends of Inspiration Peak -- we've got some pretty nifty innovations rolling out in the very near future.

When someone lamented that no one in the local press is covering Occupy Wall Street, our publisher replied, "WE will be the voice of the movement."

Earlier, she'd told me, "I want us to be as big as Huffington Post."

All of that: Just icing on the dream cake. :D

http://informationpress.net/

lifeboat
Beautiful Soul
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by lifeboat » October 1, 2011, 1:44 am

A beautiful and inspiring story. So pleased that it all worked out. Enjoyed the read and I've bookmarked the site so I'll drop in form time to time.......

Lion~*
Everything In Moderation

Post by Lion~* » October 4, 2011, 12:28 am

Good for you!!!! I love to see people's dreams come true. Enjoy your new job and home!
Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart...William Wordsworth

Follow your honest convictions, and stay strong. - William Thackeray

The bottom line, especially for my character,
is the issue of unconditional love.”
Matthew Weeden

Ron Atchison
Inspiration Peak

Post by Ron Atchison » October 5, 2011, 8:02 pm

Welcome to California Hawkeye!!! I love it here and suspect you will too. And thank you for taking the time to share your inspirational story with us... in this day and age it's so important for us to remember that the Universe is still working its magic, regardless of what's happening with the world economy.

All my best to you friend!!

~Ron

Hawkeye
Beautiful Soul

Post by Hawkeye » October 20, 2011, 3:28 pm

THANKS ALL!

Ron: I can't ever imagine leaving. For the first time in my life, I'm looking at homes. Like, REAL homes. Places where you unpack things and they stay unpacked for vast stretches of time. I once figured out that I'd moved 19 times by the time I was 21. I haven't re-counted lately, but I'm 43 now. I'm guessing 40 times, maybe. I've got little collectibles I've had since I was 6 or 7 that have never seen the outside of a cardboard box. Be kinda nice to have ... you know, like, a curio shelf. Nailed to the wall and not intended to be taken down. Like normal people.

Update: My piece 'The Occupation Movement Is Neither Red Nor Blue' has been published by the Santa Maria Sun and picked up by New Times, as well. Syndication fiddin' to happen ... :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Excerpt:

Recent letters in various newspapers implore voters to unseat President Obama next year. Apart from the standard reason—“He’s a Marxist!”—their authors rant about Obama’s bailout of the banks. They condemn the Occupy Wall Street movement—generally considered “leftist”—for hypocrisy, for being on the same side as the obviously corrupt corporatists the protesters deride.

But the bailout of the banks was, in fact, carried out under George W. Bush. Why don’t those letter-writers know that? They’re not alone: According to Pew Research, 66 percent of Americans believe TARP was passed by Obama.

How could that be?

It is because Obama, though corrupt, simply isn’t corrupt enough for Wall Street. Obama received more cash from Goldman Sachs than any other presidential candidate in 2008, and hasn’t pushed to prosecute anyone for Wall Street’s massive thefts. He passed tepid reforms that left holes “big enough to drive a Ferrari through” according to one pundit. However, some minor, mostly symbolic, regulation has been put in motion.

But Wall Street wants zero regulation. These companies have utter contempt for the rule of law, and for democracy itself. They’ve cranked up the corporate news channels with endless propaganda, so they can replace Obama in 2012 with someone even more corrupt. And that blather has been stupendously successful. In spite of the greatest transfer of wealth in the history of the world—ransacked from the middle class to enrich the top 1 percent, with just four banks controlling the majority of residential property for the first time in history—they’ve managed to convince millions of viewers and listeners that any effort to enforce the rule of law, why, that’s pure Stalinism!

How did we become so indoctrinated?

The rest at the link: http://www.santamariasun.com/commentary ... -nor-blue/

Post Reply < PreviousNext >