Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

Zen Story

This is an open forum - a friendly place to meet other great spirits and discuss whatever's on your mind.
ladybird
Beautiful Soul
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by ladybird » October 6, 2007, 11:03 pm

Dear friends,
I came across this and it struck a chord with me...

The Japanese master Nan-in gave audience to a professor of philosophy.
Serving tea, Nan-in filled his visitors cup and kept pouring.
The professor watched the overflow until he could restrain himself no longer:
Stop!
The cup is overfull, no more will go in
Nan-in said:
Like this cup you are full of your own opinions and speculations.
How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?

...may we all learn to empty our cups to benefit from the loving wisdom of our elders...

love ladybird luv
Sunshine surrounds the earth as love surrounds our souls. ~Amethyst Snow-Rivers

_Darkie_
Fellow Traveler
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by _Darkie_ » October 22, 2007, 7:06 am

Thank you for sharing this, Ladybird.

I've often found it interesting how Asian religions tend to express their points with analogies; to ensure that a concept is fully grasped.

This analogy in particular, however, I thought was interesting.

We are what who we choose to be; and in making that decision, we learn what we choose to learn. Our opinions are entirely based on the actions that we have done (and their various motives).

This teacup analogy brings that all back to a basic level. Wait, the Zen Monk says.

Empty your cups.

For if we are to choose our own way, our cups will be filled with Naive assumptions. In order to live life and begin to understand it; one must became two; this is not a task that is to be taken individually.

Such a simple analogy can be interesting in that aspect. It can communicate so many ideas, and in that respect, analogies are excellent, as they often share the characteristic of being a simple statement, communicating a larger idea.

Thank you for sharing this.
~Darkie

ladybird
Beautiful Soul

Post by ladybird » October 22, 2007, 12:27 pm

...your welcome!!(((Darkie)))...my heart smiles that you enjoyed the Zen analogy...and its a joy to meet you!! :)

...sharing is caring and my wish is to spread words from the wise so more people can empty their cups.

...I do wish I had bought the book on Zen when I saw it but it had gone when I went back for it...maybe you can share some wisdom from the East...that would truly be grrreat and delightful...

love ladybird luv

...the morning glory which blooms for an hour differs not at heart from the giant pine which lives for a thousand years...Zen poem

_Darkie_
Fellow Traveler

Post by _Darkie_ » October 23, 2007, 2:19 am

My pleasure, Ladybird.

I do wish I had bought the book on Zen when I saw it but it had gone when I went back for it...
Oh no! This has happened to me on countless occasions. It's funny if I look back at it. Times when I'm short 10 dollars, and I rush home, and rush back...only to see that the store has closed or the book has been taken.

Right now, on topic :)

Zen is a form of Buddhism that resides in Japan, which is not too far from where I live. Though I am still not familiar with it! The size and scope of it is just so huge.

Whenever someone makes the connection between "Quotations" and "China", Confucius immediately comes to their mind. Admittedly, the only quote I know from him, by heart, is
"He who does nothing is a waster of time. Are there no games to play? Even that would be better than nothing."
~Confucius (Kong Ze)
Which, I can't say, is relevant.

However, there is one man that I follow closely, whom I devote my life to, who I find my role model.
My father. My dear 爸爸. Of all the people I have met in my life, I have found that, no matter where I look, my parents are the most moral people that I can find. They love me, through hardships. Although I only see them once a week (they're off on business most of the time)

He tells me
"I love you, my son. Of all the comforts and pleasures in life, you are the one person who makes me the most happy"
Not wisdom from the east ;), but love from a father.
~Darkie

ladybird
Beautiful Soul

Post by ladybird » October 23, 2007, 2:11 pm

Dear Darkie,
only to see that the store has closed or the book has been taken
Hear Hear!!...
...my wise parents have a saying "if its meant to be it will still be there and if it isn't there then its not meant to be"...I have found that very comforting when I miss out on something as inevitably we all do in life...sometimes the joy is all about going on a hunt for brighter and better things...some things like books can be replaced but not so the love of a parent...which brings to my mind the following quote about seeking in this life...
When one door closes another opens. Expect that new door to reveal even greater wonders and glories and surprises. Feel yourself grow with every experience. And look for the reason for it~ Eileen Caddy
... and you may not have thought your Confucius quote relevant but I for one gleaned a little more wisdom from it!!...many thanx for sharing!!

...like yourself I have the utmost love and respect for my parents...they are truly wonderful role models and I am eternally grateful for their love and wisdom...

...your beautiful quote from your dad reminded me of then following poem from my parents...
Daughter I have been so very proud of you right from the very start
Wherever you go and whatever you do you are treasured in my heart
love ladybird luv

_Darkie_
Fellow Traveler

Post by _Darkie_ » October 24, 2007, 7:41 am

Hello Ladybird!

That's an interesting comment from your Parents. It almost teeters on the brink of whether fate plays a role in our lives. I haven't really been a firm believer in fate and all that - but I do have my moments, when things fall into sync. too perfectly to be a coincidence.

Once, I was going on a Photography trip. I found that I forgot to bring film...

...and inside my schoolbag, I find a roll of film that I had put in there, many years ago.

My mind was boggled. Wow.

Your quote from Eileen Caddy was intriguing as well. I have heard many interpretations of this quote; and I do feel strongly about this quote. When some doors open, some close. In some situations you can go back and right wrongs, in others, you have to bear with it, and learn from your mistakes.

As for your third quote, it does come to show that a parent's love for his/her child is beyond reason.

I will reiterate the point that of all people I have met, my parents are probably the most moral people that I have known. In this journey that I have started, 14 years ago, they are the moral compass that guide me in the right direction.

(Which makes me think how far we've strayed from the initial topic of Zen teachings!)
~Darkie

ladybird
Beautiful Soul

Post by ladybird » October 24, 2007, 2:56 pm

Dear Darkie,

I enjoyed your story on the roll of film...makes me think of Impossible Dream's photography (a fellow Peaker)...check it out its both brilliant and inspiring!!

...my parents have some dear friends from China...through them I have discovered the beauty of their culture and exquisite art that is truly pawesome...there is soooooo much wisdom in the East that we can glean from...I do love so many aspects of China...right down to their dumplings!!
they are the moral compass that guide me in the right direction
I have to agree 100% with you...my parents are my guiding light in the dark...

love ladybird luv

...in the dark I lost sight of my shadow...I've found it again by the fire I lit...
~ Zen Harvest

_Darkie_
Fellow Traveler

Post by _Darkie_ » October 25, 2007, 5:59 am

Hello Ladybird,

That sounds interesting. I'll check it out.

===

On the other hand, I agree that there is wisdom in the east. I haven't studied Chinese Literature much, so I can't say a lot about that side of Wisdom...

...but there are several stories that are passed down by Aural tradition. This is common in most [old] countries; and each story/myth bears a moral or lesson.

I've always been intrigued by these stories. I was had a conversation with a friend recently, and we discussed how Literature, Aural Traditions, and other things, could be oblique approaches to Cultural Analysis'.

I had to agree with him, and I really had never made a connection between the two. Naturally, it was true. We can learn a lot about Culture and History, just by sitting down and listening to our elders tell stories.
I do love so many aspects of China...right down to their dumplings!!

I agree with you there :D
~Darkie

ladybird
Beautiful Soul

Post by ladybird » October 25, 2007, 3:13 pm

Walking is Zen, sitting is Zen
Whether talking or remaining silent,
Whether moving or standing quiet,
The Essence itself is ever at ease
~ Daishi

and heres a Chinese proverb that I also like...
...only a vessel that is half full can be shaken...

love ladybird luv

ladybird
Beautiful Soul

Post by ladybird » October 28, 2007, 6:58 pm

...more wisdom of the East I have found in my travels dear Peakers...

A wise man sees his own faults
A courageous one corrects them
~ Chinese proverb

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet, and the wind longs to play with your hair
~ Kahlil Gibran

Compassion is, by nature peaceful and gentle but it is also very powerful
~ Dalai Lama

Kindness in words creates confidence
Kindness in thinking creates profundity
Kindness in giving creates love
~ Lao-Tzu

love ladybird luv

Post Reply < PreviousNext >