Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

At The Crossroads Of The Beautiful & The Profane

This is an open forum - a friendly place to meet other great spirits and discuss whatever's on your mind.
Hawkeye
Beautiful Soul
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Hawkeye » February 9, 2008, 1:28 pm

When I first landed at the Peak years ago, my initial post was something like:

MAYDAY, Peak Tower! Starboard engine in flames, port engine heavily damaged! Attempting to land, please advise!

I was a bomber pilot, returning from the political wars. The post had a dose of humor to it, but the sentiment was real. And the imagery had very serious roots: this was how my father had described returning from secret bombing runs in Laos.

(We murdered a million people in Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. By 2002, I had hopes that my country might come to terms with this; but it would be only a short time before we initiated events leading to the murder of a million more in Iraq)

I chose the name Hawkeye after Alan Alda's charachter in M*A*S*H; a peaceful, healing soul in olive drab, stuck in the heart of a war zone, doing his best to perform careful, meticulous surgery on one broken body at a time, while hundreds more seemingly feel from a clear blue sky.

I have approached this current battle, over the last six years, from an intellectual standpoint. I wrote a book about it, and hundreds of letters and blog entries; I spoke everywhere I could speak; I fashioned elaborate artistic displays laden with undeniable truths; I signed hundreds of petitions, and I walked door-to-door, hundreds of doors; thinking all the while that if I could just explain this clearly enough, if I could just educate enough people, I could help turn this ideological war to the favor of humanity.

I supported Dennis Kucinich for president. When Dennis announced his first candidacy, in 2003, he did so with the following words: "I am running for president of the United States to enable the goddess of peace to encircle within her arms all the children of this country and all the children of the world."

Dennis, and I, and his small but dedicated legion of campaigners, barely made a blip in the polls, barely even qualify as an "*."

To be fair to us -- to give ourselves the hearty pat on the back I believe we richly deserve -- I believe that we were successful in getting out those facts, to changing the tide of the national conversation.

But as to any real national spiritual awakening -- well, this is no more possible, through politics, than it would be to convert a mass of unbelievers to Judaism, Christianity, Paganism or Islam. These are very personal awakenings -- you just can't tell people "this is so," and have it hold. This is all of our long paths, our lifetime journeys.

I spent last eve with White Eagle and the Grandmother Drum, and there were more people present and in harmony than I've seen at (almost) any anti-war rally. Indeed, White Eagle, while being very critical of the war and the deciet that led to it, spoke of these rallys, and of her opinion that they "attempt to replace one kind of anger with another kind of anger," and her belief that this is not the correct way.

So, my dilemma: I wish to stay "involved" in what is happening; but I also wish to turn up that different path, to understanding that both these paths ultimately lead over the divide, but that one is beautiful, the other brutal. I cannot ignore the brutality of the former, but I desire my feet to be on the latter.

I'm just not sure how to shift the balance of my soul toward staying on the beautiful path.

If they decide to attack Iran, for instance ... do I protest, do I get arrested, do I counter with all the fury that should naturally arise from such an event?

How does one quietly, with a smile and a joyful heart, counter falling bombs?

How does the Dalai Lama offer Mr. Bush -- one who has caused such massive suffering and horror -- both his council and his blessing?

How does one engage the injustice, without ignoring personal blessings of peace, or disengage, without ignoring personal, global, responsibilities?

If I had to answer myself, this is my answer to you, Hawkeye: You have done your part. Even the soldier in battle does not battle forever; he eventually takes his leave, and passes the mantle of the fight to others.

I am weary of the fight; I am energized to the spiritual path.

But what do you say? How do you balance these things, if you engage the battle at all?

ladybird
Beautiful Soul
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by ladybird » February 9, 2008, 2:35 pm

Dearest ((((((Hawkeye))))))),

....its very nice to see ya again...mega thanx for sharing this personal journey of yours and Hawkeye is a purrfect name!!!

....I agree that the spiritual way is much better than brute force...and peace is a 'one step at a time' process...

....I can't even begin to imagine the dilemma of being forced to fight when one is attuned to peace and compassion....Im glad to be here in Aotearoa where we lead relatively simple peaceful lives....even then one does not completely escape violence....but one needs to put things in perspective...for one horrendous crime of violence there are hundreds and thousands of peaceful moments with people celebrating life and that is what one needs to cherish....

....In my humble opinion the U.S.A has taken the role of international peace keeper but sometimes with force....Is that right...Is that wrong??? I can't answer that question...I guess only the Supreme Being God knows for sure...

Here are some inspiring quotes by past American Presidents on Peace...
Peace is not made at the council table or by treaties, but in the hearts of men....
~ Herbert Clark Hoover

Observe good faith and justice towards all nations. Cultivate peace and harmony within....
~ George Washington

Never let us negotiate out of fear, but let us never fear to negotiate...
~ John F Kennedy

Today we are faced with the pre-eminent fact that if civilisation is to survive, we must cultivate the science of human relationships, the ability of peoples of all kinds to live together and to work together in the same world at peace....
~ Franklin D Roosevelt

The best way to destroy an enemy is to make him a friend....
~ Abraham Lincoln

There is enough in the world for everyone to have plenty to live on happily and to be at peace with his neighbours....
~ Harry S Truman

I like to believe that people in the long run are going to do more to promote peace than our governments. Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it...
~ Dwight D Eisenhower

Peace is a journey of a thousand miles and it must be taken one step at a time...
Lyndon B Johnson

It must be a peace without victory...only a peace between equals can last....
~ Woodrow Wilson

The real differences around the world today are not between Jew and Arabs, Protestants and Catholics, Muslims, Croats and Serbs. The real differences are between those who embrace peace and those who would destroy it; between those who look to the future and those who cling to the past; between those who open their arms and those who are determined to clench their fists...
~ William J Clinton

love ladybird luv
Sunshine surrounds the earth as love surrounds our souls. ~Amethyst Snow-Rivers

Mammy
Beautiful Soul

Post by Mammy » February 10, 2008, 9:04 am

You write so beautifully and expressively Hawkeye luv luv luv

I've just come across this site - maybe it will be of interest to you?
www.dreamheaven.org

Mammy x x

Pollie
Beautiful Soul

Post by Pollie » February 10, 2008, 10:12 am

Dear Hawkeye,

You are absolutely right, "you just can't tell people 'this is so'", but don't underestimate them, most of us know "that it is so". So many lack the courage and conviction that you have to follow your same path. God has given each of us a voice and a purpose. Your fight though tiring and seemingly useless, I am certain, has infact reached many people. Change is often slow. When we think of Martin Luther King, Norma Ray, Jane Adams, Cesar Chavez, Fredrick Douglas, Harriet Tubman, along with other reformers and our very own Hawkeye who have the courage and the insight to speak out and attempt to reform society, we know that most did not see the changes in their lifetime. We also know that most suffered enormous rejection and personal loss during the course of their fight. But in the end did their suffering become later a world wide gain. Certainly.

Balance is in the heart, and in the face of adversity as you stand for what you belive in God is there standing beside you for it is He who has given you the courage that so many of us lack.

I lived in Cleveland, Ohio when Dennis Kucinich was mayor. I was there when he was elected, as he worked for the people, and I was there when the people turned their backs on him when he did not cowtow to the politician and money. He is a man of integrity and honor. But people are blined by the evil temptations of life. And what is offered. They are subdued by the promises of the evil tongue of many politicians, the idle promises and lies. But I have faith that someday, people like you will help them see the error of their ways.

Hawkeye, someday all of your efforts will be revered. Perhaps nothing again that you will see in your lifetime. But keep hope, don't give up, maybe just change the approach. If the word is put out there eventually it will take seed.

Just my opinion. :^

Love Pollie

Ron Atchison
Inspiration Peak

Post by Ron Atchison » February 11, 2008, 12:50 am

I remember the day you landed at the Peak Hawkeye - I admired your passion and honesty then and even more so now.

Like you, I've marched alongside my neighbors and fellow citizens in anti-war protests only to be summarily ignored or dismissed by a media that did everything but wave pom-poms in support of our invasion.

Like you, I've been disillusioned by the lies and manipulations put forth by a government that seems more interested in corporate profits than in the health and welfare of its own people.

And I too have traveled back and forth the lonely road between anger and resignation and back to anger.

It took me awhile... but I finally figured out that the anger wasn't getting me anywhere I wanted to go. And neither was the resignation.

So in between these two extremes I've found a middle road that allows me to speak my truth and work towards justice and still be in touch with my own peace and happiness. (It sounds like you may have recently discovered a similar road. ;)

Not too long ago I was up in Marin County visiting an old friend of mine and I noticed a well-dressed young man standing by himself on the side of a fairly busy road. He was holding a simple cardboard sign that said 'Let's make peace happen'. I watched him for a few minutes as he held his sign and cheerfully waved to the drivers as they passed him by and it suddenly dawned on me how powerful this solitary act was. With his hand-made sign and friendly disposition this man was making an impact on hundreds if not thousands of drivers as they passed him by.

Then I started thinking... what if more people were willing to do this? What if fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, grandmothers and grandfathers took turns - one or two hours a week - holding up their messages of peace? Wouldn't this be much more powerful than a handful of huge anti-war protests taking place in five or six major cities?

Anyway Hawkeye... I'm heading off on a tangent but I just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I think there are probably millions of us who are wondering how we can play a more effective role in making our world more peaceful.

I hope you enjoy your liberty... but in my humble opinion, I hope you don't retire too early my friend. The world needs people like you, now more than ever.

PS to both you and Pollie.... I too am a big fan of Dennis Kucinich and hope he runs again next time!!! :D:

PSSS to Ladybird... I love the quotes! :)

Trebissky
Good Friend

Post by Trebissky » February 11, 2008, 9:16 am

First, I'll tell you the same thing I just told Lynx, about being out of work:

If you give up, the bullshit wins by default.

I froze my ass off in Washington DC in February of 2003, along with thousands of others who went there to let Dubya know we were NOT behind him starting a war with Iraq.

"Fat lot of good it did", you might say. You'd be wrong. If nothing else, it showed this country and the rest of the world that no, ALL of us were not behind him and his sorry-ass quest.

OH, and by the way... I wore camo BDU's and a field jacket. At one point, a couple of guys went by while my group was watching from the curb. They were wearing keffiyahs... and turned their heads to look when they spotted me there. I nodded. They nodded back.

Anyway... After all this time, I know there's no hope in hell of BUSH stopping this. Fine. I want and EXPECT that whoever we Democrats pick, once he or she gets that oval office back, WILL, starting January 21st.

I like those quotes ladybird posted, this one most of all:

The real differences around the world today are not between Jew and Arabs, Protestants and Catholics, Muslims, Croats and Serbs. The real differences are between those who embrace peace and those who would destroy it; between those who look to the future and those who cling to the past; between those who open their arms and those who are determined to clench their fists...
~ William J Clinton

But there is also THIS ONE:

The only thing necessary for the triumph of Evil is for good men to do NOTHING.
~ Edmund Burke

Do NOT do nothing! Even if all you can do is make your voice heard by voting, go and VOTE! Do something.
SGT. JIRI TREBISSKY H&D SAS
"The mind and the sword are one.
If the mind is right, the sword is right."

Ron Atchison
Inspiration Peak

Post by Ron Atchison » February 11, 2008, 10:49 am

I think you hit the nail on the head Trebissky... we might need to adjust our sails or change our tactics or take a breather once in awhile but we must never, ever quit.

I don't believe in leaving things for the next generation. As far as I'm concerned, if we're still alive and breathing, then this is still our generation.

All my best to you Trebissky... and thank you for the post!

PS.... what's a 'keffiyah'?

LadySolaris
Beloved Pest

Post by LadySolaris » February 11, 2008, 2:32 pm

Ron, a keffiyeh is a traditional headdress of Arab men and women. A square piece of cloth, usually made of cotton or wool or a mix thereof, folded and wrapped around the head in several fashions. It is known also as shmagh, ghutra (all white) or hatta.
Thank you Trebissky, enjoyed your post.

Ron Atchison
Inspiration Peak

Post by Ron Atchison » February 11, 2008, 3:36 pm

Thank you LadySolaris! ;)

Hawkeye
Beautiful Soul

Post by Hawkeye » February 12, 2008, 6:19 am

Thank you all for your responses. I have to admit; I've been a little surprised. The peak is sometimes so ethereal that I expected to recieve little more than blessings on my divorce from temporal politics, and hearty encouragement of my newfound path to personal nirvana.

I go on trial in about an hour and a half.

Long story short: I was at the scene of a felony and happened to witness, not the crime itself, but a full confession from the perpetrator. The police arrived, and soon had in handcuffs the wrong guy. I attempted to give a witness statement, but was then arrested myself for interfering with a police investigation. No good deed goes unpunished, right?

I'm excited to have this before a jury. I'm hoping I'm not being terribly naive; I just have to beleive that there is some sort of rationality somewhere in this process.

Between bumping up against this government, and the bigger one, and finding hearts and minds of stone in charge of both, I just ...

I used to have alot of faith in law and order. Especially law. I know that it sometimes gets ignored by those in power, and that sometimes the people in charge are corrupt, or simply dull.

But, over the last ... year, at least, ... it has come to seem to me that there just isn't anyone within any power structure I've run into who isn't either a meglomaniac or simply a brain-dead automaton, going through the motions, whether that be the Speaker of the House, most of the presidential candidates, our local representative, or the cop who drove me to jail.

"Government isn't reason," said (Jefferson, I think).

Well, there's a difference between lacking reason and full-blown insanity.

I hope that I find sanity in the hearts, minds, and faces of my jury.
This is what I expect.

And therein is the key: I think that I have to seek redress of grievances with people, and forget the government.

I'm still working all this out ...

Anyway, gotta run.

Thanks, all you lovely people!

The Peak is indeed a refuge, and Ron, you have created a wonderful thing.

Let's make it a model for the real world, and we won't even need government anymore. :^

Post Reply < PreviousNext >