Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

You can make one contribution to the world, what will it be?

Thoughtful questions about life and love.
Luckintheshadows
Beautiful Soul

Post by Luckintheshadows » April 21, 2008, 9:34 am

This is something that my mom, my sister and I have discussed many times.
We, all three of us, have come to the conclusion that charity and well-being start at home.

I live in South Africa, and in my local community alone there is a desperate need for upliftment programs. I live less than 2kms down the road from a massive informal settlement. Crime is a very big problem here, with B&E's a common occurance.

There is one man, who is quite the entrepenuer, he lives in the settlement, has started his own General store, as well as a tree-felling/garden refuse removal business.

Education

Day care centers would be set up for young children who are often left at home alone, or in the care of unsuitable carers. The DC's would be staffed by qualified teachers, so that children would recieve the basic skills needed, the ones that kids learn at young ages.

A school for children, catering to ages 6 - 16, where a host of subjects would be taught, things that will benefit: Literacy, Communication Skills, Computer Literacy, Practical skills like cooking, pottery, agriculture (on a small basis), First Aid, etc...

Night Classes for adults who have to work during the day, which would teach all the above.

The schools would be staffed by qualified teachers - retired - as there is a shortage of good teachers.

Clinics

There is only one clinic in the area, and some people have to take a whole day off work, just to go to the clinic. I would love to have a 24hour clinic running all the time, every day of the week. Staffed by qualified nurses and doctors, including a trauma unit, x-ray facilities, blood lab and a dispencery.
I would also promote family planning.

In addition I would set up Thoroughbred Sanctuaries across the country. Where retired/broken down racehorses can be sent. A place where they will be looked after for the rest of their days, and where they can be adopted (sort of like the SPCA), but it wouldn't matter if they not adopted, because they would have a home there for the rest of their lives.
As part of this initiative I'd also do clinics in the rural areas where horses and donkeys are an intrigal part of life, educating their owners in proper care. these clinics would be held every 3 months, because thats how often a horse/donkey needs to be dewormed. I'd have qualified farriers teach locals about correct hoof care, and vets that would come and treat wounds, illnesses, and give vaccines - especially African Horse Sickness which is a HUGE problem here, and can lead to a particularly nasty death.

I would provide a constant aid to the SPCA who does a marvelous job, but is severely under-funded.

My mom and sister would love to have a cat and dog sanctuary, so I would help them set that up too.

The idea behind the clinics is that the people become educated enough, to continue these initiatives - ultimately - without my aid...of course I would keep my finger on the pulse, so to speak :)

I believe that education is the root of it all, if good ethics, a sense of pride, is instilled from a young age, this will continue into adulthood, when those things can be passed to younger generations.

This may seem narrow-minded, or perhaps selfish, when there is so much bad stuff happening in the world, but I truly believe that one must sort out the problems at home before taking on the rest of the world. If one person, can pass pride, education, and a sense of well being onto their neighbour, who will pass it on to their neighbour, then it wont be too long before it passes to the rest of the world.
That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria! - Calvin and Hobbs

Pegasus
Fellow Traveler

Post by Pegasus » April 22, 2008, 6:33 am

:) Hello everyone, I'd get myself a huge and vast property and shall bring all unwanted children, orphans, abused children and disabled children in it. I'll fill their world with unconditional love.

Love and Peace.

Pegasus.
Live In The Present Moment.

Pollie
Beautiful Soul

Post by Pollie » April 26, 2008, 11:46 am

I started to answer this on the 23rd but I had to "think about it" so I recanted my thought at the time. If I could do more than one there would certainly be several and my original was to the tee Pegasus's thought. However, after thinking about it and in so far as a world wide benifit I believe that I would contribute the money toward the distruction of nuclear warfare (and its likes) , and the continuation of it's demise through out centuries to come, since my funding would be unlimited. ;)

Pollie

unicorn
Fellow Traveler

Post by unicorn » May 1, 2008, 5:26 am

To take care of myself as good as possible,
so I can be as present as possible to hear, see, feel and show love to evrything, evryone the way my heart tells me to do.

flyingrabbit
Beautiful Soul

Post by flyingrabbit » May 17, 2008, 1:15 am

what an interesting question :)

i want to share this poem which i made several years ago..

A Little World

I want to be the light to the blind
that shines as bright as the sun
so that they can see with their minds
the mountains, the hills, and the oceans

I want to be the voice to the deaf
that echoes as clear as the rain
so that they can hear with their hearts
the sound of music that last forever

I want to be the mother to the orphan
whose heart is as soft as the snow
so that they can find and realize
the love and warmth they can live with

God please give me the strength that I need
to give a little world to those
who have dreamt for it all their lives
so that they know how it feels
to have the beautiful world that I have

hope u all like it :)
and actually i've been thinking about it for years, but i always thought about big things. what could i do to change this whole world to a better one.. and i've never found any ways at all.
but then i saw this quote by mother teresa..

“If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one.” – Mother Teresa

it makes me realize that we don't need to change the "whole" world, just do every little thing, every little kindness, even every little smile we can do/give anywhere anytime to anyone in need. if each of us in the world do that, this world will change, because this world can't be changed only by 1 person..

“I do not have the strength to change the whole world, but like everybody else, I have the strength to change the smallest part of the world to a better one and I will never stop trying to take this chance.” – mrg 04

just my thought :)

GypsyButterfly
Good Friend

Post by GypsyButterfly » September 7, 2016, 9:29 pm

There's many things I would do. There are so many things that matter to me. For now, I'll do what I can in my small way. I'm volunteering at the local animal shelter.
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans--John Lennon

Post Reply < PreviousNext >