Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

Does Love argue?

Thoughtful questions about life and love.
Lion~*
Everything In Moderation

Post by Lion~* » March 7, 2007, 11:53 pm

Within another topic our friend Yahu! made this statement that got my brain juices immediately flowing! :^
Love does argue but it keeps no record of who's right or wrong.
Yahu!

Does love argue? :? And if love does argue... what happens to those records of wrongs? :0: If they are argued - then is it love and can those wrongs not help but be recorded? :( Can Argument erase them? :angry: hmmmmm I could write pages on that one! ;)

Love Lion~*Let'sNotDebateButJustStatePaw
Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart...William Wordsworth

Follow your honest convictions, and stay strong. - William Thackeray

The bottom line, especially for my character,
is the issue of unconditional love.”
Matthew Weeden

yahu!
Good Friend

Post by yahu! » March 8, 2007, 1:24 am

:) Lion..

That's actually quoted from the bible, that love does not keep record of wrongs so i assumed that it shouldnt also keep one for the right ones because love while argues, it forgives and forgets and ultimately it must not create a big deal of who's been right or wrong.
There 's no place like Inspiration Peak, my home.

dance of joy
Beautiful Soul

Post by dance of joy » March 8, 2007, 6:52 am

That is a beautiful truth, Yahu. Thank you. I think it says it all.

Love,

Christine
Wisdom tells me I am nothing.
Love tells me I am everything.
And between the two, my life flows.

Lion~*
Everything In Moderation

Post by Lion~* » March 8, 2007, 9:59 am

Yes, Yahu! I am very familiar with this wisdom.

1Corinthians 13:4-8
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

Argue - in the dictionary: to speak angrily to someone, telling them that you disagree with them, especially continuously or angrily

It is this definition that is foremost in my mind about argue. So I question... not argue ;) whether love would actually argue to begin with. You are very right... love does forgive and keeps no record of wrongs in spite of arguments. What I have reservations about is... Would Love actually argue in the first place? I think it is human pride, arrogance, hurt, fear, ignorance, self importance and self righteousness wanting self opinion to win and force another to drop their view...to me that is where argument comes from.

To me... love allows differing opinion without conflict and therefore has no reason to dismiss those records of wrong in the first place.

I have always told my 4 cubs... "You can come talk to me about anything... I may not understand, I may not like what I hear, but I will always respect the fact that how YOU feel is how you feel. I will do my best to be here for you and honor who you are!"

I must say I will become ruthless in defending someone when another's wrongdoing is causing great harm! I will also argue rightly when truth is threatened! But both of those hold different definitions that the one posed.

Love Lion~*SpeakTheTruthInLoveAndGentleKindness
AndThereIsNoRegretToConsiderPaw

"When you blame others, you give up your power to change." - Dr. Robert Anthony

Matthew Weeden

yahu!
Good Friend

Post by yahu! » March 8, 2007, 12:24 pm

The bible itself says that love is not easily angered Lion.
It is a fact that people argue, and even loving people are not excused from this yet i find and so maintain that i use the word argue if only to emphasize a point.
Jesus was gentle but He too lost this composure in trying to rebuke/convince some people, but it was always out of love.
There 's no place like Inspiration Peak, my home.

Pollie
Beautiful Soul

Post by Pollie » March 15, 2007, 9:34 pm

Lion, Lion, Lion,

Oh how your questions tickle the senses. You think so very deep. I love this question, all of them actually.

Does love argue?

Once upon a time I did believe that love did argue, for most of my life as a matter of fact. But today, right now and at this very moment I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that love does not argue, at least not in my life, and if it does it does not have to.

I have the perfect relationship. It is kind and warm, sensuous and adventurous, it is giving and taking, it is never jealous. We laugh, we dance, we talk, we clean house and do laundry together, we work the cars or remodling side by side. We have our times away from each other, our shared times and our alone times. There for love has no records of wrongs.

I think there are different levels of love, or perhaps phases. I think too often we get caught up in our own wants and desires that in love we lose something. If you love some one, unconditionally expecting nothing in return how can you not get loved back the same way. I wish I could put into words better what I think. You must live your life knowing that tomorrow you will have to regret nothing. Love, Live, Laugh believe in God.
The bottom line is that (a) people are never perfect, but love can be, (b) that is the one and only way that the mediocre and vile can be transformed, and (c) doing that makes it that. We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love.
Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker
Pollie

P.S. Read this question last week by my promotion has been keeping me away. My thoughts on it are days long.
"The future has a way of putting in front of us, that which we most wish to leave behind" Unknown

Lion~*
Everything In Moderation

Post by Lion~* » March 15, 2007, 11:47 pm

Love does keep record of what is right!!! There is absolutely no doubt... and it does not keep records of wrong... but certainly had better take notes of what is indeed ... wrong!!! ;) Love doesn't have to argue though... because it can only speak the truth! Human nature loves to argue and doesn't take very good notes at who is right or wrong because it is just plain ornery!

Pollie Pollie Pollie :D: lol
It is good to read your response! It is also great to hear from someone who has a truly fabulous relationship. My Mom, she has said for years... "We are all perfect... perfectly awful !" At that she laughs heartily! :D
I can't say I have a perfect relationship... sometimes I have a hard time getting along with
myself! :p Though I have to say... I do find it quite easy to not argue when I spend time with me, myself and ya ... me! :^ ... I know... terrible humor... lol but sometimes all one can do is laugh at life!
I have never known anyone who has had a perfectly blissful relationship. I know there are some like you Pollie, who actually do, but it is after knowing something else that you come into it. I think the different phases in maturity definitely are a factor in this! I see with the persistance of love and determination to love much more... that my own marriage deepens in contentment. I think too that when our cubs are all grown and it is just us in the den... there will be less demand on us and we can take even more time to enjoy one another. I won't say it will be quieter... we hope to do some great motorcycling trips! :cool: But I can honestly say... that childrearing has been about the only conflict we have had... and it is NO argument... because tell me please... What Mama Lion~* isn't right!!! ;) and WHO in their right mind would challenge her anyway!!!!! hahahahahaha!!! :D Oh I best just get off here and go to bed! Too tired and too crazy for my own good tonight!

Night
Love Lion~*Argue... WhoMe? :^ Paw

Congrats on the Promotion Pollie!!! Good for you!!!! :D:

Matthew Weeden

Sparky
Beautiful Soul

Post by Sparky » March 16, 2007, 6:53 pm

I don't think pure, unconditional love argues, but when acted upon by others we, being human, don't always excercise pure love. It isn't always easy to be perfect even in love, and we shouldn't expect it of others. That's why we have forgiveness and yes, maybe even forgetfulness :^ . (Knew there must be a reason for that.)

Love,
Barbie
Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadows.

~ Helen Keller

Pollie
Beautiful Soul

Post by Pollie » March 16, 2007, 9:35 pm

Lion you are beautiful

Hi Barbie, :D:

But in knowing that we are only human, is it not possible to be capable of setting aside the quirky things that irritate us before love has a chance to argue. Forgiveness is for when we wrong or are wronged and we allow these events to cause arguements. I agree arguments keep records and people keep records. But why argue to begin with? What purpose does it have. One pushes one's opinion over the others till things are said that are regretted.

I wrong my husband probably often. But we do not argue about it. He accepts my stupid little moments. I do the same for him. We know each other well enough to know when silence is more appropriate.
If you can not understand my silence, you will not understand my words.

To communicate through silence is a link between the thoughts of man. - Marcel Marceau

Silence is one of the great arts of conversation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero
I once lived where all love did do was argue. I resolved myself that I would never allow that to become part of my life. I feared that leaving it out would eliminate passion and true intamacy. But I am here to tell you I will only be perfect should the Lord take me into his arms, till then love is perfect in my husbands arms ;)

The big trick is what are you willing to compromise, willing to let go of in order to keep love from arguing. What is your partner willing to do for you or let go of for you. Some times you have to swallow your pride before it swallows you, sometimes you have to hold your tounge even when you are right. Big thing here is if you are right and you know it why do you have to argue the point anyway. I would say that communication without judgement is the first step to having true love.

And, maybe I am in a bubble, and perhaps someday it will pop. But I am living it now and tomorrow I may not be around to see it pop. ??? I have lived both ends of the spectrum of life, I choose this. :D

Compromise, if not the spice of life, is its solidity. It is what makes nations great and marriages happy. - Phyllis McGinley
"The future has a way of putting in front of us, that which we most wish to leave behind" Unknown

dance of joy
Beautiful Soul

Post by dance of joy » March 19, 2007, 7:32 am

Oooh, Barbie, great answer. I think you hit it bang on.

Thanks!

Love,

Christine :)
Wisdom tells me I am nothing.
Love tells me I am everything.
And between the two, my life flows.

Post Reply < PreviousNext >