Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

What's the best advice you've received?

Thoughtful questions about life and love.
Ron Atchison
Inspiration Peak

Post by Ron Atchison » January 16, 2009, 11:03 am

Maybe it was from a grandparent, a friend or a total stranger...

What's the best advice you've received on your journey so far?

DeMechele
Good Friend

Post by DeMechele » January 17, 2009, 6:02 pm

A lady once told me, don't frown, keep smiling. It'll make people wonder what you have been up to. I have tried to keep an optimistic attitude about everything, even passing jokes to my customers at work, who walk away with a grin.
Dnise

flyingrabbit
Beautiful Soul

Post by flyingrabbit » January 21, 2009, 3:06 am

the best advice for me, and also one of the hardest lessons, is Mother Teresa's lesson to be humble..

1. Talk as least as possible about ourselves.
2. Mind your own business.
3. Avoid curiosity.
4. Accept differences with humor.
5. Forget other people’s mistakes quickly.
6. Accept critics, even though it’s misplaced.
7. Accept insults, experiences of being forgotten and disliked.
8. Don’t try to be loved and admired.
9. Be polite and kind, even though you’re being attacked.
10. Don’t hide behind other people’s honor.
11. Succumb to debates, even when you are right.
12. Always choose the hardest thing.

Ever Loving
Fellow Traveler

Post by Ever Loving » January 23, 2009, 12:48 am

The Best advice I got was from my father,when i am eleven years old...I used to teach my brother who is 2 years younger than me.Sometimes I have to repeat 2 or 3 times a paragraph for him to understand and if again he started asking doubt it ,i used to get irritated and will scold him a lot calling 'stupid 'and all.but inside i will feel sorry for him,but i was not about to control myself.But the next day also my brother will come to me for studying nd the situations will again repeat.Seeying all these one day my father,who is a school teacher,called me and told,"Dear,Why you r getting irritated so fast?your brother may be dull in studies,but he is good in several other things..but if u started scolding him like this he will started losing his self confidence and will affect him negatively.whenever u feel that the other person is totaly wrong and got angry with them,before scolding them or judging them,think for a while from other persons point of view.,nd just imagine how u will feel if u r in his position?If u started thinking like that u cannot hurt anyone and will be able to love the whole world"This is the advice which changed me ..nd from dat day i started 2 look the world from a different point of view nd realized dat each and everything in the world has a signature of God in it nd everything in this universe is beutiful... :)
With luv
Revu..

Lion~*
Everything In Moderation

Post by Lion~* » January 23, 2009, 11:02 pm

Be You! Be honest, consistent and love yourself, you deserve it! Have no regrets! Be You!
Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart...William Wordsworth

Follow your honest convictions, and stay strong. - William Thackeray

The bottom line, especially for my character,
is the issue of unconditional love.”
Matthew Weeden

JuliaRose
Fellow Traveler

Post by JuliaRose » February 25, 2009, 8:16 am

The best advice I ever received was from my high school German teacher. I was in the restroom crying my eye's out over what I thought was a trauma and when she came in and saw me she said, "Julia, things are never as bad as they seem." She was right and I have thought of her words often.

Julia Rose

BigPeteH
Beautiful Soul

Post by BigPeteH » March 27, 2009, 3:28 am

The best advice I ever received was very short and simple. It came from quite an unlikely source, a man in his 50s who I used to work with as a postman.

He said simply: 'Love unconditionally."

At that time in my life, I always associated the word 'love' with romantic relationships, so I did not fully understand that he meant for me to apply this to every single aspect of my life. Not just one person or a handful of people, but every person, thing and circumstance that I came across.

I only recently understood that this is what he meant, and looking back, he was the embodiment of his advice. A quiet, unassuming man without much material wealth by many people's standards, but with a very obvious and infectious enthusiasm for his 'ordinary' everyday life.

That made his everyday life quite extraordinary.

Morning Bear
Beautiful Soul

Post by Morning Bear » April 6, 2009, 6:26 pm

From my dad - You never have to fear anything or anybody
From a friend - Be honest in your work
From my mom - Be yourself and the world will see all the beauty inside of you.

This hit home with me this past weekend when my son got married and his best man was giving his speech at the reception.
He said; "I've never met anybody like Jay before, he doesn't care what anyone else thinks, he just does what he knows is right in his heart and sticks with his friends through thick and thin. I'm proud to be his friend."
I was almost ready to cry, but my friends sitting by me were laughing and said; Is he talking about Jay or you and your brother?
Doesn't care what anyone else thinks.

At that moment I realized that even though I rarely told my children that they didn't need to worry about what others think, that it was probably obvious to them from the way I lived my life.
I'm very proud of both my children for that behavior, and that they are true and honest.
I know it took me a while in my life to really understand those concepts fully, but I thank God that I learned in time to live it and to teach my children by example.

Zane (Morning Bear)
For me to believe in you doesn't require that you believe in me,...it only simply requires that you know and thus become all that you are meant to be. MB

Teo
Good Friend

Post by Teo » April 7, 2009, 2:40 pm

I really love you for asking this question! Recalling all the gems of wisdom.. what a great think to ask! he he..

"Mind your wants, because somebody wants your mind"

Wellness Arts discussions: http://Givnology.com
Amazing music books: http://Givnology.ca
Musicalizations: http://Reverbnation/teovincent4

mwzephyr
Beautiful Soul

Post by mwzephyr » April 21, 2009, 9:25 am

"focus on the things you like in life, not on the things you don't like, for you will surely become what you focus your energy and attention upon."
Last edited by mwzephyr on April 23, 2009, 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply < PreviousNext >