Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

If there were no borders, where would you live?

Thoughtful questions about life and love.

Should humans be able to travel and live anywhere they choose?

Yes
90%
No
10%

Total votes: 20

Luna5770
Beautiful Soul

Post by Luna5770 » November 4, 2007, 1:31 pm

Bosnia and Herzegovina is a country settled in the south of Europe. At first look there is nothing special about her. But her true heroes know her true values.
It's a country who suffered and cried throuhgt history but survived and it lives stronger as ever. But instead of apreciating it we run from her. Going into the others lands we show our cowardly personality. Don't run from your ancestry, embrace it, cause it's who you trully are.
Yes, out goverment sucks we have three pressidents but don't let that uncougare you , let that be yout strenght. Forget past, fight for future and if nothing you'll feel better your soul will be complete.

I want to dedicate this short work to all people who gave their life for Bosnia and Herzegovina in the last war who brought many innocent victims and to all people who lost their love ones.

:cool: by Luna5770

Pollie
Beautiful Soul

Post by Pollie » November 13, 2007, 10:11 pm

A very deep question, these would be mine

Would we loose structure and gain chaos

Who would rule so large a world, just one, hmm

How much diversity would be lost

How long would it be before we could no longer visit some other
interesting country to find that their lifestyles and holidays, food
etc.. were just like ours. Ruins the purpose for traveling.

White is the absence of color and black is the combination of all
all colors, would we loose our uniqueness

How would we be protected from terrorist going from country to
country or for that matter exotic diseases

Why would you not be afraid or nervous

Are they abused by some "rulers" certainly, are they necessary
absolutely

Borders do not define the position of ones heart but have very
specific purposes for exisiting.

Truth be told, I think it would make me very nervous. As a child I lived in a world void of structure and the chaos was unreal. These are memories that have been washed away with time and a restructuring of life. I think if there were no borders, it would be very much like a child without boundries. Boundries are set to maintain order and many are done out of love.

For the most part we are free to travel and move where we like, even if it were England, yes it may be difficult but not impossible. If it is something you really want it may take time but the opportunity exist.

I remember on our way to Canada, our vehicle was radomly selected to be searched. The couple we were vacationing with along with groups of others being detained were rude and abraisive about the 3 hour ordeal. But I thanked them for caring. I had nothing to hide and the rest of my life to get where we were going. Life is too short to be bothered by the little things. We got to Toronto, saw the Phantom of the Opera. It was perfect.

In Mexico City armed guards were posted outside and you were not to be on the streets from dusk to dawn. It frustrated some, but I understand. Oppression and repression is not "border" specific either. Drive dowtown where you live, there is a sadness living in all our worlds. Perhaps not on such a large scale but it is there.
Without an acquaintance with the rules of propriety, it is impossible for the character to be established.
Confucius

It's not enough to create magic. You have to create a price for magic, too. You have to create rules.
Eric A. Burns
Sorry, but as you see there is a pessimistic side to me I guess.

Pollie

kka
Fellow Traveler

Post by kka » November 19, 2007, 11:13 am

if we all could go where we want to be, maybe there would be no more people struggling and not wanting to be where they are. Maybe for one moment after we arrive we would be at peace-with ourselves and eachother. and when everyone is at HOME, we wouldnt need to be upset and blame, fight or kill our neighbours...
I want to be at home. I want to be at peace... and that is all I can wish for anyone else.

-just a thought. It is not scary, is it?
Be a drop...

Ron Atchison
Inspiration Peak

Post by Ron Atchison » November 19, 2007, 5:01 pm

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for taking the time to think about and respond to this question.

It seems the older I get the less I like the way the 'rules' were written. I truly believe that the earth, the entire earth, belongs to all of us... not just the wealthy and privileged.

It makes no sense that a child born into a poor and desolate country should have to stay in that country if there is no food or opportunity there.

We're quickly approaching an era where the fences we've built, instead of protecting us, are causing the chaos and insecurity we're so afraid of.

Perhaps it's time that countries around the world adopt 'free citizen' policies with other reciprocating nations so their people can travel, work and live where they choose. As Mauricio pointed out earlier in this thread, we're already doing this with cars and coffee beans... why not take it one step further?

As history has shown us time and time again, the walls we build will all come crashing down eventually. Given this reality, let's be pro-active and approach this issue in an intelligent and constructive way.

For the earth belongs to all of us, not just to the mighty or more fortunate.

You need to understand this. We did not think we owned the land. The land was part of us. We didn't even know about owning the land. It is like talking about owning your grandmother - you can't own your grandmother. She just is your grandmother. Why would you talk about owning her? - Native American Indian

Thank you again to everyone who shared their thoughts... it's good to see that I'm not alone on this one. ;)

frieda
Good Friend

Post by frieda » November 19, 2007, 8:57 pm

I would still live in America. I am an American by choice and it's the best choice I made. I was born in Iran in an Armenian family, grew up in Kuwait, traveled pretty much every where in Middle East and some in Europe. And if there were no borders I would still live in this great country. Why? because it's a country where dreams do indeed come true based on hard work, determination, and optimism. Sky is the limit, where in the Middle East, sky is unimaginable for majority of people. Every country you travel, go visit any embassy, and you will see America's embassies have the longest lines for people wanting to get in this great country.

Ron Atchison
Inspiration Peak

Post by Ron Atchison » November 19, 2007, 11:25 pm

I think it was Ronald Reagan who once said... "you can move to France but you will never be French.... you can move to Japan but you'll never be Japanese. But anyone - from any part of the world - can come to America and one day become an American. "

The same can probably be said of Canada and Australia... two other great countries that seem to place a high value on diversity, personal freedom and opportunity for all.

I pray that that these countries will not stray from their ideals but continue to be an example and a beacon of hope to people around the world who dream of a better life and a better way.

Luna5770
Beautiful Soul

Post by Luna5770 » November 20, 2007, 8:33 am

Sioux58 wrote:I think it is a great idea. I've often thought that the world is too separate in lots of ways, even within supposedly one country!!

I wonder if there weren't so many rules and regulations would we have the chaos we expect. It would be an interesting experience. Reminds me a little of John Lennon's "Imagine".

If I could live anywhere in the world, I would choose somewhere that has season changes. I really love the changing of the trees.

Sue

you want season changes come to Bosnia we have beatiful trees specially in my city

:cool: by Luna5770

Mammy
Beautiful Soul

Post by Mammy » November 21, 2007, 6:21 am

As long as there are communities like this, we can all connect with each other without borders :D

Mammy x x luv

carita
Fellow Traveler

Post by carita » November 21, 2007, 5:04 pm

I used to think along the lines of no borders great... Yet, I feel often there are way too many people on this planet. I know this sounds harsh and not really in keeping with the overall sentiments posted here, yet it is a deeper, much, much deeper question for me.

My feelings happen when I consider what exactly it is about this planet I love, besides people, people and more people. I have had the priceless opportunity of living in some very remote areas where nature has been left relatively untouched by human progress, whether it is roads or whatever. I am not saying we should return to the dark ages. Yet native nomadic people's of the world maybe had a wisdom that we currently have lost.

The gift of these places is that one can be alone in the silence and serenity of nature. There is nothing more healing and nourishing for the soul than just being surrounded by nature in her natural beauty. As much as I care about people, I find the populations and herding mentality of the planet really spoils the availability of experiencing the priceless gift that nature has had for me.

I don't know what the answer is. Travelling has lost a lot of its appeal for me simply because mostly travel involves being herded into hotel resorts, big cities etc. which personally don't do much for me. Give me little villages and those unique differences that give a culture its magic and beauty. Maybe we are losing something beautiful by losing our borders?

Mammy
Beautiful Soul

Post by Mammy » November 22, 2007, 1:27 am

Interesting and thoughtful perspective Carita :)
Maybe we are losing something beautiful by losing our borders?
Doesn't this depend on whether the borders are to keep something out or to protect something?
Protecting what is precious is vital, but if you take that to an extreme everything will be controlled and all our beautiful things will be in museums, art galleries and zoos; behind glass with 'do not touch' signs on them!!

Maybe the answer is to remove the borders in our minds and open ourselves to fully enjoying this world and all it has to offer - even the crowds in the cities? And maybe, if we can do that, we can find a way to ensure that we never lose the remote and isolated places that feed our souls?

Even though there are 6.5 billion of us, it's a pretty big planet and if we all spread out there would still be empty spaces :)

Mammy x x

Post Reply < PreviousNext >