Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

If there were no borders, where would you live?

Thoughtful questions about life and love.

Should humans be able to travel and live anywhere they choose?

Yes
90%
No
10%

Total votes: 20

carita
Fellow Traveler

Post by carita » November 22, 2007, 6:42 pm

I understand what you are saying in your quote which is exactly the deeper question. I realise that in trying to protect our wild places we have made them inaccessible (for a very good reason). I don't know or rather I am suspending my logic for the time being as to thinking I know what the answer is, though deep inside my Self I know the answer exists and I remind my "self" that what I am seeing and experiencing now, is not necessarily "reality", rather they are memories being lived out.

At present I am simply living in a "real world" within my imagination (for as many moments through the day as feels appropriate allowing myself to immerse my "self" in ITs magic, intending to listen to the voice of "the new earth".

I trust that the rest will follow very beautifully, very elegantly from that. I don't see people in this world, not at the moment.. I don't know if they will ever be there. I suspect we have to drop our concepts of what it means to be "human" to go there.

The world as it is would perish in this world and I can no longer accept the excuses of 6.5 billion people (myself included), all of us reasoning out our reasons why we keep perpetuating an illusion that really does not serve our greatest good.

Forgive me there is something else, much greater and more glorious than what we are currently settling for and it is something totally different to all the paradigms we currently hold to be true.
With love
Carita

Morning Bear
Beautiful Soul

Post by Morning Bear » November 22, 2007, 7:26 pm

If there were no borders or restrictions and people were to be safe regardless of where they lived or traveled, if there was compassion and love, humbleness and eagerness to teach and protect and and invite - I would not be nervous about that situation at all.

I would probably find a mountainess island somewhere 200 miles either side of the equator where I could view snow capped peaks while sunbathing and snorkeling in the ocean. For me - that would be a nearly perfect home to return to each winter.
The other 6 to 8 months I would visit my ancestors land of Great Britain, golfing in Scotland, fishing in Ireland, and treading the paths of Sherwood forest.

Morning Bear
For me to believe in you doesn't require that you believe in me,...it only simply requires that you know and thus become all that you are meant to be. MB

Lion~*
Everything In Moderation

Post by Lion~* » November 22, 2007, 9:54 pm

Carita, Welcome to the wonderful borderless Peak! The place where love lives!

I believe the realities of this world are very apparent to any and everyone with eyes, ears and courage to know. There is little ignorance to the negatives which are lengthy in their list... I believe there are also too few voicing the positives... some fail to even see the positives because the news reports are so heinous.

6.5 billion. This is reality. I rejoice that my family is amongst that number! The air I breathe is reality. Warmth of sun and warmth from hearts... are reality along with explosion of volcano and torrent of wind and melt of ice! I believe in a far better future than what fills the earth this day. But, I believe that today is the reality that needs lived, loved and embraced amidst all we push away from in repulsion and longing for better.
more glorious than what we are currently settling for
We can only work with what we have before us. I do not consider living this life I am blessed with settling. I don't live in a world where I am cloaked from the truths upon the face of this earth. Settling to me would be resigning to less and believe me... I don't settle when there is always more! Even those in the most impoverished conditions do not settle.... HOPE, it breeds in the core of their soul and the sun shines on their faces.

Mammy, I really appreciated what you said:
Maybe the answer is to remove the borders in our minds and open ourselves to fully enjoying this world and all it has to offer
No matter what I truly believe will be in time... there is LIFE to embrace, and being the best steward toward people and earth with the abilities and talents I have been given is my desire in this life. Reality isn't far off... it IS.

Morning Bear...Maybe I'll meet you there! This is what I always talk about doing... Tropical Island, snorkeling and the British Isles ( I mean United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland! ;) (((((Mammy)))) :D )

I am born and raised in Canada. We have amazing green spaces in the big cities and mile after mile of undisturbed wilderness. ( Well except for the devastating pine beetles! ??? ) There are no gates barring access to mountain, lake or river. It is very beautiful. We have arctic, desert, coastal rainforest and alpine... plains and peak filled with glaciers. World visitors love it here and our multicultural population attests to that fact.
The same can probably be said of Canada and Australia... two other great countries that seem to place a high value on diversity, personal freedom and opportunity for all.

I pray that that these countries will not stray from their ideals but continue to be an example and a beacon of hope to people around the world who dream of a better life and a better way.

Yes Indeed Ron!!! :D:
This is a really great question and I hope even more contribute to the worldwide view!

Love Lion~*IDon'tBelieveFreedomBeingsAtABorder
ItBeginsInOurSoul'sCircumferencePaw
Last edited by Lion~* on November 24, 2007, 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart...William Wordsworth

Follow your honest convictions, and stay strong. - William Thackeray

The bottom line, especially for my character,
is the issue of unconditional love.”
Matthew Weeden

Mammy
Beautiful Soul

Post by Mammy » November 24, 2007, 4:46 am

:D :D :(
I just found a border in my mind!! :)
I was about to point out that Ireland is not part of the British Isles any more than Canada is part of the United States and suddenly realised that this the kind of xenophobic thinking that creates borders in the first place!!!

We are all citizens of planet earth and that's all that really matters :)

Mammy x x

Lion~*
Everything In Moderation

Post by Lion~* » November 24, 2007, 6:36 pm

Sorry about that Mammy! Just made the appropriate edit above! ;)

LOL ... many of the people I know refer as a "Whole"... Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England as simply... "Across the Pond" !
" Oh in the spring we are travelling to visit relatives "across the pond".... and island hop they do! :)

I believe it is OK to have our country borders... important just as having my own property lines that says 'this acre is ours'. But I also welcome visitors and new neighbors who move in and out , up and down our road. I'll give them flowers, beans and carrots and eggs... but the gardens are mine! That is a border I can't tear down! ;)

Obviously we need healthy boundaries. What the world needs also are gates that swing both ways and not have people be caged like a prison where there is a meagre or broken ability to survive as we see constantly in world news.

Love Lion~*
Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart...William Wordsworth

Follow your honest convictions, and stay strong. - William Thackeray

The bottom line, especially for my character,
is the issue of unconditional love.”
Matthew Weeden

Fabulous Future
Good Friend

Post by Fabulous Future » April 21, 2009, 10:38 am

I too love Canada and have lived in many of the provicnes wheich all have thier onw charm. I also absolutely love salt water and where it is warm so would love Hawaii or any other area by the sea ( warm) . I feel more at home when I can speak my own language. I could live anywhere if I had someone to interpret and teach me language.
Life is hard by the yard
Life is a cinch by the inch
by my Dad

Be Glad of Life
because it gives you
the chance to love
and to work and to play
and to look up to the stars
by Henry Van Dyke

Fabulous Future
Good Friend

Post by Fabulous Future » April 21, 2009, 10:43 am

I just read Mammie's and Lion's (I think) and smiled - so true we do like to define ourselves by this is what I am - I am not that. If you ask someone if they are from Nova Scotia when they are from Newfoundland in Canada it causes the same. I am a westerner or I am an easterner. I am Canadian not American and so it goes.............
Life is hard by the yard
Life is a cinch by the inch
by my Dad

Be Glad of Life
because it gives you
the chance to love
and to work and to play
and to look up to the stars
by Henry Van Dyke

flyingrabbit
Beautiful Soul

Post by flyingrabbit » May 6, 2009, 9:11 pm

what a great question, Ron! it makes me think a lot and deeply.. really interesting question!

i think it would be so wonderful if there were no borders, we could travel and live anywhere we want.. i would definitely love it, and maybe everyone would love it as well..

however, i try to see it from a different point of view..
it's only my personal opinion, i don't even know if it's right or wrong, but i think there are some negative impacts of this..

1. if we could easily travel anywhere we want, it would be wonderful, especially on the first several years. Yes, it might help our jobs, improve communication with people around the world, but after some time we would get used to it that nothing feels so special anymore. We would have less dreams, and less happiness when we reach those dreams. I’m talking about dreams like.. “I want to visit Europe someday, I want to see the Niagara Falls, I want to touch the snow in (somewhere)..”

2. If we could live anywhere we want, most people would want to live in beautiful and big countries, with lots of natural resources, where almost anything is possible. Not many would want to live in third world countries or developing countries. Some places would be unbelievably crowded, and some other places would be left alone. It could lead to 2 negative impacts. First, half the world would be almost dead, no activities, no one lives there, and those countries or places couldn’t be developed, because only small number of people would care. So we might lose some natural resources, some great cultures, and this earth would seem to be smaller. Second, criminalism might increase with too many residents in one place and not enough jobs available, as well as not enough resources available to support those numbers of people.

3. about unnecessary government restrictions, I can’t agree more that they are really disturbing sometimes. However, it’s better to live with them than to live without them. Just imagine life without rules..

I think this world has been the best it can be for everyone. It has supported human lives for thousands of years, and even though there are still lots of poverty, hunger, etc, but overall people can live well, and we can communicate well with all people around the world.

And the other question, for me, most likely I will stay where I am. I’m not living in the biggest or most beautiful country. I’m living in a developing country with lots of problems, economic problems, criminalism, corruptions, and so on. But I’ve been living here my whole life, I can live well, and now that I’ve known more and more about my country, I want to help developing my country so that we can be a better nation :)

again, only my personal opinion. Just trying to see things in a different way :)

love,
melia

Zanneta
Fellow Traveler

Post by Zanneta » June 3, 2009, 9:49 pm

I think it would be wonderful to have a world where one could travel freely without man made restriction.

In my country we have freedom of speech, freedom of race (in that laws are in place whereby treating each other with due respect is a must), & freedom of religious beliefs.
However - go down to the beach to pick shellfish, & one is restricted unless authority is granted by one certain race. I accept restrictions are necessary for the protection of sustaining replacement growth, but not by culture or race. God provided foods of the earth for all - & thus in my opinion, one race can not take ownership.

Regardless of that, I would chose to remain right where I am - home is truly where the heart is, & my heart tells me this is the most beautiful & peaceful country for me. We have no terrorism, no civil war, & most importantly for me - no snakes or venomous spiders. lol
Christi crux est mea lux.

GypsyButterfly
Good Friend

Post by GypsyButterfly » September 15, 2016, 6:30 pm

I think it should be much easier to emigrate to other countries. If there's a place a person feels would give them a better life, the process should be smoother. I think there should some requirements. Perhaps, a background check or something.

There's many places I'd like to visit (Italy, for example), but, for living, I can't imagine being anywhere other than this area (a couple of hours north of San Francisco). Though, we have considered OR.
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans--John Lennon

Post Reply < PreviousNext >