Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

quotes about joy and pain

Whether it's an old treasure, a new discovery or one of your own creations, share your favorite quotes here!
Post Reply < PreviousNext > [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
mwzephyr
Beautiful Soul
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by mwzephyr » January 17, 2012, 4:29 pm

Poetry is a deal of joy and pain and wonder, with a dash of the dictionary.
~Kahlil Gibran

"Pain is a part of being alive, and we need to learn that.
Pain does not last forever, nor is it necessarily unbeatable,
and we need to be taught that."
– Harold Kushner
~
"Given the choice between the experience of
pain and nothing, I would choose pain."
- William Faulkner
~
"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional."
- Author Unknown

~
"But pain insists upon being attended to.
God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in
our conscience, but shouts in our pains: it is His
megaphone to rouse a deaf world."
- C. S. Lewis

"One joy scatters a hundred grieves."
Chinese Proverb

"There is no pain so great as the memory of joy in present grief."
Aeschylus

"There is no beautifier of complexion, or form, or behavior, like the wish to scatter joy and not pain around us. 'Tis good to give a stranger a meal, or a night's lodging. 'Tis better to be hospitable to his good meaning and thought, and give courage to a companion. We must be as courteous to a man as we are to a picture, which we are willing to give the advantage of a good light."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."
Guatama Buddha

"Joy is the feeling of grinning on the inside." Dr.
Melba Colgrove

"What good to us is a long life if it is difficult and barren of joys, and if it is so full of misery that we can only welcome death as a deliverer?"
Sigmund Freud

"What I know for sure is that you feel real JOY in direct proportion to how connected you are to living your truth."
Oprah Winfrey

"True joy results when we become aware of our connectedness to everything."
Paul Pearsall

"The joy in life is to be used for a purpose. I want to be used up when I die."
George Bernard Shaw

"The sharing of joy, whether physical, emotional, psychic, or intellectual, forms a bridge between the sharers which can be the basis for understanding much of what is not shared between them, and lessens the threat of their difference."
Audre Lorde

"We sometimes miss the great joys in life by snatching too eagerly at the false and glittering froth." Kopplin, Dorothea. Something to Live By. Permabooks, 1948, p. 1.

"We have the ability to determine our happiness hour by hour and day by day, through our thoughts and actions." Pulsifer, Catherine. Wings of Wisdom. Anncath-Roby Books, 1998, p. 143.

~
"Laughter is the tonic, the relief,
the surcease for pain."
- Charlie Chaplin

~
"My barn having burned to the ground,
I can now see the moon."
- Japanese poet Masahide
~
"Pain is never permanent."

Davidf
Beautiful Soul
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Davidf » January 17, 2012, 6:27 pm

joyous,
Wonderful quotes! Where did you find them all? My favorite is the last one, "Pain is never permanent."
~Davidf
Have a blessed day!

Post Reply < PreviousNext >