Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

MONTAIGNE ~ death

Whether it's an old treasure, a new discovery or one of your own creations, share your favorite quotes here!
Post Reply < PreviousNext > [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
mwzephyr
Beautiful Soul
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by mwzephyr » January 25, 2012, 10:12 am

Imfermanence

There is no place on earth where death cannot find us—even if we constantly twist our heads about in all directions as in a dubious and suspect land... If there were any way of sheltering from death's blows—/ am not the man to recoil from it... But it is madness to think that you can succeed...

Men come and they go and they trot and they dance, and never a word about death. All well and good. Yet when death does come—to them, their wives, their children, their friends—catching them unawares and unprepared, then what storms of passion overwhelm them, what cries, what fury, what despair!...

To begin depriving death of its greatest advantage over us, let us adopt a way clean contrary to that common one; let us deprive death of its strangeness, let us frequent it, let us get used to it; let us have nothing more often in mind than death...

We do not know where death awaits us: so let us wait for it everywhere. To practice death is to practice freedom. A man who has learned how to die has unlearned how to be a slave. - MONTAIGNE

Ron Atchison
Inspiration Peak

Post by Ron Atchison » January 26, 2012, 11:03 am

My own death doesn't cause me too much concern.... I realize now that we all must 'go home' eventually. Of course, I've gotten to the point where I like it here on this beautiful planet and will most assuredly miss it.

What does cause great anxiety though is when my friends and loved ones have to 'go home' too soon. I know they are merely one step ahead of me on the path, but this thought doesn't ease the pain or make me miss them any less.

Having said all this, I'm not sure if I buy into Montaigne's premise that we should 'practice' death. Seems to me we should focus the bulk of our attention on practicing 'life.'

But I do enjoy reading Montaigne's prose. He has a beautiful way of saying things.

;)

Post Reply < PreviousNext >
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable