Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

Are These People Out of Their Mind? Exit 132

Beautiful stories written by YOU about a person or event that changed your life, gave you hope, made you dream...
Fiddle Foot
Fellow Traveler

Post by Fiddle Foot » March 6, 2010, 8:06 pm

By M Paul Burress
From Real Places a Travelogue
Exit 132

Are These People Out of Their Mind?

As I drove across country in the morning sun, I was struggling hard to stay awake, so I barely glimpsed the highway sign informing me that if my destination was Toad Suck State Park, I would need to take the next exit. Instantly, my drowsiness was flung aside and my mind yelled, “What was that?” “TOAD SUCK!” As my mind was wrestling to reconcile the two words, Toad, and Suck and it was simultaneously forming a distorted mental picture of these combined words, YUCK MAN! GROSS! GROSS! GROSS! I mean, just the term (‘Toad Lick’) makes you want to start spitting. Toad Suck! What could these people be thinking? Some dangerous chemical has surely gotten into the drinking water around here and wrecked these peoples ever loving minds, How could anybody consider ‘Toad Suck’ to be an acceptable name for anything.

Approaching the exit I said to myself, “Now settle down boy” “Settle down” leave a little room for the possibility that there is some legitimate reason for such a name,, like -- like -- like a local competitive sport or something, you know with championships and all, maybe trophies, blue ribbons, fireworks, Miss Toad Suck, the works. It suddenly occurred to me that I have no idea what the record might be for flattening a toad that way. YUCK man I said again and I wanted to spit! The winner might get a trophy but I’ll bet he don’t get to kiss the Toad Suck Queen. Actually, I’d say that the most undesirable female in the county wouldn’t stand for any more than a quick peck on the cheek from him. But then, who knows, it may make him absolutely irresistible.

At any rate, they have put their sign up for nothing. I am not going there, and I am almost afraid to know what it means. All I know is: that PETA outfit and the bunch of animal rights folks are missing a chance to intervene into something here, something that has gone terribly, terribly wrong.
Last edited by Fiddle Foot on March 10, 2010, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The best twenty dollar bill you'll ever put in your pocket, is one you find just blowing down the street. Somehow, It gives you a thousand dollar boost that lasts all day, and you get to keep the twenty as well.

M Paul Burress

Ron Atchison
Inspiration Peak

Post by Ron Atchison » March 6, 2010, 8:46 pm

I just had to do a little research on this one Paul... and here's what I found:
Located on the Arkansas River, Toad Suck claims one of the most unique legends. Way back when, this is where the river captains and their crews chose to relax. Along with the river traffic came many questionable characters. Drinking was often the recreation for both the staff of the river industry and the shady people who hung out in this area. Early settlers in this area observed the excessive drinking going on in this area and named the drinking patrons as “Toad Sucks”. They exclaimed that “these people sucked on their whiskey and swelled up like toads”! The area became known as “Toad Suck”. Today, a state park is nearby and many of the locals in the area come here during weekends to picnic and go fishing. You will also find a local convenience store nearby with some very unique “Toad Suck” merchandise!
Must have been some pretty powerful stuff they were drinking!! :0:

Fiddle Foot
Fellow Traveler

Post by Fiddle Foot » March 6, 2010, 9:44 pm

Ain't it a sight what a man's imagination can make of a thing? I was for getting me an armed Federal Officer with a warrant and going back there.
Paul
The best twenty dollar bill you'll ever put in your pocket, is one you find just blowing down the street. Somehow, It gives you a thousand dollar boost that lasts all day, and you get to keep the twenty as well.

M Paul Burress

Fiddle Foot
Fellow Traveler

Post by Fiddle Foot » March 12, 2010, 1:17 am

I used to pass this place every month, one month I got to wondering what a traveling person might think about this place just by reading the signs. It was fun riding along building this tale, on assuming. LOL
Assuming an answer when you don't have one could lead anywhere. Forty Nine years ago I assumed I'd have this marriage business figured out in about six months and write me a book about it, ................................................Well ....................., I've worked at it till I've wore my joints out, and don't have enough strength to push the pigment up to my hair anymore and still ain't got it figured out. ???

( moderated by: Lion~* Your friendly Peak Moderator)

M Paul Burress

Post Reply < PreviousNext >