Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

Art

Beautiful stories written by YOU about a person or event that changed your life, gave you hope, made you dream...
duncan
Fellow Traveler

Post by duncan » August 17, 2011, 1:25 am

Art in its general form is apparently all around us and can directly or indirectly influence our actions, feelings and thoughts. I find it hard to believe that a lot of my actions and perceptions of people and situations are predominantly influenced by something which I do not take an active part in appreciating. I was thinking about this today as I was admiring the architecture on display in downtown Oslo. Occasionally whilst walking along I will look up and see what wondrous designs and structures are on display and occasionally a smile will appear on my face. Why does the shape of a building make me smile?

Like many of you reading this now, I am an avid music fan. I enjoy all sorts and select which type of music to listen to depending on my mood at that moment. Sometimes to reflect in that mood, and sometimes to actively change my mood, presumably to that of a happier state. There are particular artists, bands and pieces of music which, if I play them, will be guaranteed to put a smile on my face and some will even guide me, take me by hand and take me back in time where I was either happy or sad and this music was playing. Sometimes I listen to music purely to relax and enter into a meditative state where I am alone with my thoughts and for a brief, or a long period of time, the real world does not exist, I lie there smiling within.

Now I am not the type of person who actively visits art galleries unless I am in a foreign city and it is part of my cultural immersion of the place. (I have decided that this is no longer effective and the best way to culturally immerse yourself in any place is to enter a bar, buy a drink and strike up a conversion with anyone who seems to be in the vicinity. People define culture, not the other way round). I have however frequented many large galleries such as the Tate in London and the Louvre in Paris and spent endless hours looking at paintings, sculptures and any other random artifact which we tend to define as modern art. These paintings, sculptures and modern art do not tend to draw me into a meditative state but they do however hold my interest and some interesting pieces will occasionally draw a smile from my face, usually whilst looking at it upside down or from some weird distorted angle.

As I am sure you have noticed all these forms of art and many others have one thing in common, they made me smile! Art can also make you sad. However never let anyone tell you how you should interpret or understand something as it may well deprive you of one of the most heavenly experiences, an unexpected smile. Art makes me smile.

Davidf
Beautiful Soul

Post by Davidf » August 28, 2013, 4:35 pm

Duncan,
Some art makes me smile, while some others I just don't "get". especially abstract art. My mom and sister loved to draw and paint as well as my aunt, so naturally I like their work. Same with poetry -- if it is too experimental or too "over the top" academically, I might not understand completely what the author is saying. I edit a poetry magazine but I believe "family-friendly" is the best kind. (Read as: "clean" humor, love, inspirational/spiritual religious (the ones praising, not bashing, our Lord) nature, and poems for or by children.
If you or anyone reading this wants to submit, my "snail mail" address (I prefer submissions this way) is 171 Silverleaf Lane, Islandia, NY 11749).
~Davidf
Have a blessed day!

Post Reply < PreviousNext >