Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

I seen a dog trapped in a hot car..and it changed my life.

Beautiful stories written by YOU about a person or event that changed your life, gave you hope, made you dream...
bmminc
Fellow Traveler

Post by bmminc » October 22, 2014, 11:26 pm

About two years ago, I was at a stop sign waiting for people in front of me to decide whose turn it was to go, when I heard whimpering coming from inside a car parked on the street next to me. It was well over 100 degrees and the dog’s head was desperately resting near the top of a slightly cracked window. He was trying to get some of the cooler fresh air outside the car. Without thinking I put my car in park, turned on my hazard lights and got out to help him.

The car was locked and other than the one slightly cracked window, there was no way to get into the car to save him. I was going to call the police but I knew he wouldn’t last that long. Thinking the owner of the car must be in one of the houses nearby I became angry and didn’t know if I should break the window and take the dog or try to contact the neglectful owner. Just as I was about to find a large rock to bust out the window, I noticed a police car at the opposite side of the 4 way intersection. I ran out and flagged him down.

The cop had some sort of air bag pump he stuck in the car door so he could unlock it and get the dog out. I stuck around because I wanted to give the owner a piece of my mind if at all possible. When the cop opened the door, the dog surprised both of us and bolted out and ran behind the house the car was parked in front of. Without thinking I went after the dog to make sure he was ok. The officer shouted something about him taking care of things and asked me to stay by my car, however I had already seen why the dog had ran. The dog’s owner was laying in the middle of his garage. I was shocked and didn’t know what to think. The officer however was quick to respond.

Apparently the man had a condition that on rare occasion caused him to have a seizure. This one was particularly bad and required medical attention. When I was giving my statement to the other officers after the incident I learned that had I not stopped, both the dog and the man would likely had died. I didn’t know how to feel, but I was overcome with emotions and my eyes swelled up. Still to this day it just amazes me how much of an effect you can have on other people’s lives by doing the right thing. I was so quick to judge assuming the dog’s owner was neglecting his pet, and had the cop not have been around I may have just left an anonymous note on the car after I took the dog.

I cannot imagine what I would feel if I knew that man had died because any number of things that may have went differently. It just really has hit home with me and always made me understand that there are always multiple sides to every story, and things are not always as they seem. I guess I hope that in letting other people know about my story, they find it in themselves to help each other out, and realize everyone has their own unique story that may be incredible and inspiring.

This is MY story. I know I recently had my story posted online in case the story inspired anyone else. So i hope this is ok with the rules!

Davidf
Beautiful Soul

Post by Davidf » October 23, 2014, 2:47 pm

bmminc,
Wow! What a story! I guess you saved 2 lives because you stepped in and did the right thing. God bless you!
~Davidf
Have a blessed day!

Post Reply < PreviousNext >