Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

Breaking free

Beautiful stories written by YOU about a person or event that changed your life, gave you hope, made you dream...
Post Reply < PreviousNext > [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Maithri
Beautiful Soul

Post by Maithri » August 2, 2007, 12:38 am

One of my dear cousins once told me this little story about elephants, which means so much to me.

In years gone by there was a particular method which was commonly used to tame elephants.

When an elephant was very young, one of their legs would be tied by a small length of chain to a post at night.

In most cases, almost as soon as the chain was tied to the little elephants foot, the young elephant would try to run. He would kick and pull at the chain. But the chain wouldn't move from the post to which it was tied.

So he would pull harder.

The harder he tried, the more pain it would cause him.

The next day he would be released to play with the other elephants. But at night the same length of chain would come out.

Again he would try to break that chain. But no matter how hard he pulled, there would be no way in which he would be able to free himself.

Many days would go by with the self-same pattern of events occuring.

Soon the young elephant would realise that there was just no use. No matter how hard he tried he could never break that chain and gain his freedom.

So he would give up. And when the chain came out and the lights went out, he would not try to resist anymore.

Years would pass and these small young elephants would grow to become the mighty creatures which we all respect and admire.

And yet at night that very same little chain would be used to tie them to their posts.

Now you would think that weighing several tonnes, the elephants could easily break the little chains that once held them as children. And you would be right. With their new strength it would be easy to tear the chains and the posts :) from their sticking places.

And yet having learnt all those years ago that it wasnt possible. These elephants would never even try.

Friends, its so important to break the ties that bind us, those things which keep us from realising our true potential.

In some ways we're all a bit like these little elephants. Life can be hard and wearing. It hurts and sometimes it can make you bleed. But that doesnt mean we should stop trying to liberate ourselves from our shackles. In fact, maybe its not as hard as we once thought.

We were born free. Here's to living that way. :cool: luv

My love to you all,

Maithri
If you cant feed one hundred people. Feed one. - Mother Teresa

www.possibledreamsinternational.org

http://soaringimpulse.com

ZippyTina
Fellow Traveler
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by ZippyTina » August 2, 2007, 1:06 am

Great story- and so true for so many people.

Thank you for sharing! :)
Love Life, Live Love!
I absolutely LOVE love poetry
http://www.links2love.com/poetry_poems.htm
I also LOVE love quotes for inspiration!
http://www.links2love.com/quotes.htm

Lion~*
Everything In Moderation
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Lion~* » August 14, 2007, 12:59 pm

"Like the elephant, we are unconscious of our own strength. When it comes to understanding the power we have to make a difference in our own lives, we might as well be asleep. If you want to make your dreams come true, wake up. Wake up to your own strength. Wake up to the role you play in your own destiny. Wake up to the power you have to choose what you think, do, and say."

- Keith Ellis, Bootstraps

Thought you would appreciate this along with your story Maithri and one and ALL! ;)

Love Lion~*AwakeningWithSleepInMyEyePaw
Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart...William Wordsworth

Follow your honest convictions, and stay strong. - William Thackeray

The bottom line, especially for my character,
is the issue of unconditional love.”
Matthew Weeden

ebullientenigma
Beautiful Soul

Post by ebullientenigma » January 5, 2008, 4:54 am

This story is inspiring to me!!! Having been in an abusive marraige, I heard in my head the recorded messages from the past. Messages about my unworth. I believed them, until some events in my life made me believe in myself!

Now, I know i have the power to turn off the negative, defeating messages!!

Yoron
Fellow Traveler

Post by Yoron » December 24, 2009, 2:59 pm

Yep, to be a 'real human being' costs.
And you have to do it.

Even though people will wonder.
I accept all comments, god or bad :)
As long as you don't 'troll' .

Post Reply < PreviousNext >