Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

Run your Fingers Through my Soul

Beautiful stories written by YOU about a person or event that changed your life, gave you hope, made you dream...
Post Reply < PreviousNext > [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ebullientenigma
Beautiful Soul
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by ebullientenigma » December 11, 2007, 9:55 am

Her eyes were distant, not meeting mine. Her body made feeble attempts at movements. Her limbs shifted in what appeared to be a wild and fruitless manner. She did not speak words to me; I listened to sounds that I was unable to interpret. She seemed to not be connecting with me on any level that I was unfamiliar with.

I wondered as an objective person would think, “What is her quality of life?” I wanted to her to let me into ‘her world’. It would be arrogant of self righteous for me to think my ‘world’ is superior from hers.

I learned about her from staff and from time spent with her. A brush of her check as I fed her a pureed meal meant a smile would creep across her face. I embraced these moments when I captured her if only in a brief moment.

As she and I spent time together and her trust in me grew stronger, she laughed. She laughed so hard at times; I no longer recognized who she was! Essentially, her laughter was her spoken language. The barrier was broken.

Another resident I met on placement did not seem to connect with me during the first couple encounters I initiated with her. She thwarted my gentle attempts at being a supportive member in her circle. One day, while outside on a beautiful day with a simple blow up ball, my heart soared when I heard the music of her laughter! I threw the ball at her and her belly laugh was pleasurably startling to me!
She caught the ball with both hands and threw it with such ebullient enthusiasm; it seemed as if this simple act released her from her ‘shell’. From that day forward, she directed small gestures at me that demonstrated that she trusted me and I had gained her respect.

I can gain much in this life, and I feel that all is without much value without gaining the respect and trust of others. Some people that we meet in life, may feel misunderstood or their wishes and desires go unheard. To be able to communicate with those whom others might call unreachable is deeply rewarding.

The value of a certain life may get dismissed by some. We can look inside ourselves and ask what constitutes a valuable life. Once I asked myself this question, I realized the answer is very clear. A quality life is born from the love we give and receive from others.

We all deserve to feel these affirming facets of life such as pleasure, joy and peace. We can distance ourselves from how simply these components of life can be obtained. Sometimes we need to be reminded. I was recently given a gentle reminder from the residents at Harbourside how simple it is to feel pleasure, joy and peace.

We all communicate through different means. Some people can convey more in a single smile or burst of laughter than some can in speaking for a great length of time. Their words may be empty and shallow; talking to just be heard. Those in our midst who communicate in different forms that what we are conditioned will require patience and compassion from our part.

I was reminded through the splendor of laughter, a smile that speaks louder than any vocal phrase and the fingers that link together. All lines are blurred and barriers are broken. I never want to impose limitations or set judgments on those that I meet in this field because I will be disappointed, I’m sure every time.

Post Reply < PreviousNext > [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable