Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

Poor Substitute

They say a poem's not really a poem until you share it with someone else. And that's what this place is all about.
Post Reply < PreviousNext > [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Sparky
Beautiful Soul
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Sparky » October 13, 2020, 10:41 am

POOR SUBSTITUTE

You weren't my father, but you were in the role.
When you rewarded my 8 year-old's pat on the cheek
With a slap on mine that hurled me across the room.
Or when you worked me like a hired hand on the farm
So that I built muscles unbecoming a skinny 9 year-old.
Or when the only fatherly love you showed was your hand down my panties
And other actions I still can't talk about without pain.
Or when I let the cow's water trough overflow,
You thought it was okay to make me strip to my panties
And walk through the mud on all fours until you said it was okay to stop.
Or when I didn't gather the eggs so you broke one over my head and let it run down my dress, then made me wear it to school.
These were the lessons you taught me of parenting, although you weren't my father, but you were in the role.
And yet, I wonder where you learned such things.
What ever made you think it was okay to treat a child like that?
Who turned your heart to ice?
I hid behind my big heavy coat, no matter the weather, so that no one would see me because I was ashamed.
I believed I was ugly and only good to provide services, never to be loved.
So I spent my life trying to overcome, and find someone to love me and see me as more than a servant, child prostitute, someone who was dirty and otherwise useless.
What saved me was my heart, my God-given spirit, that you couldn't touch. And the Bible my foster grandfather gave me that taught me of love, as it should be.
Because of those things, I am able to see that somewhere, sometime, you were wronged, and you passed it on to me.
But I have chosen, because of who I am and what God has taught me, to forgive you. You need my prayers, not my hate for being a poor substitute for a father.

Barbara Hurst Aldrich 1/17/2020
Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadows.

~ Helen Keller

Lion~*
Everything In Moderation
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Lion~* » October 17, 2020, 11:26 am

Dr Hyem ," We have to forgive the unforgivable. But that does not mean forget. These things should be remembered. But if we do not forgive, we poison our lives, and the lives of others, and evil will win." from In the Midst of Life, Jennifer Worth

It is a most gut wrenching and courageous write.... to put it out there and hold tight to your own heart and soul's authenticity. You are one of my most beloved friends and although you endured horrific atrocities against you... you have the most genuine, love filled, integral, faith filled soul.... you are one of my very richest blessings ever held safe within my heart. I ache to the depth reading this... The beloved friend I know is only love, encouragement, faithful , hope filled and so darn humorous... perhaps both because of and in spite of the evils you have lived through.. the love in you has risen so abundantly to overflow into the lives who cross and remain upon your life path. ((((((( love you dearly ))))) Your faithful Lion~* friend
Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart...William Wordsworth

Follow your honest convictions, and stay strong. - William Thackeray

The bottom line, especially for my character,
is the issue of unconditional love.”
Matthew Weeden

Sparky
Beautiful Soul

Post by Sparky » October 17, 2020, 12:08 pm

Thank you ((((((((Lion)))))))). Yes, it did take a lot of courage to put this out there. But I have shed my big heavy coat and all the shame and pain it concealed. No-one is helped by hiding or covering up, neither the abuser or the victim. When the light is turned on, darkness recedes.

You are a most treasured friend to me as well, and you know me better than most because we have touched hearts in the most tender places and love unconditionally. There is no truer or more loving and understanding friend than you. I thank God for you. ❤️

~ Helen Keller

Lion~*
Everything In Moderation

Post by Lion~* » October 18, 2020, 2:49 pm

There are those who say wordings of love... and then there are those of who truly are love. Many come and go... and then there are those who stay and couldn't possibly do otherwise. luv
Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart...William Wordsworth

Follow your honest convictions, and stay strong. - William Thackeray

The bottom line, especially for my character,
is the issue of unconditional love.”
Matthew Weeden

Sparky
Beautiful Soul

Post by Sparky » October 18, 2020, 5:25 pm

luv In my heart forever ((((Lion)))).

~ Helen Keller

Post Reply < PreviousNext >