Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

Along the Highways

They say a poem's not really a poem until you share it with someone else. And that's what this place is all about.
Post Reply < PreviousNext > [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
fredcowie
Beautiful Soul

Post by fredcowie » September 19, 2008, 8:45 am

A poem written from experiences driving 50,000 miles a year on the back roads of western U.S.

Along the Highways
© 2008 Frederick J. Cowie, Ph.D.

Look
Walkers
Take a look
Would but for what
Good luck there would go I
Along the highways
Here in the West
Dusty and hot
Walking
Alone
Going along
Footstep footstep
Not all have thumbs out
Some are just plain walkers
Going from somewhere
There to here
And back
Mustn’t
Stop
Keep going
Browned by sun
Narrow from travails
Cowboy hats
Jeans
And boots
Who are they
These walkers
Cowboys and Indians
Indians Cowboys
Sometimes
Indians
Cowboys
Indian Cowboys
Or Cowboy Indians
Cowboys and Indians
Too proud to hitchhike
Too proud to bicycle
Walking along alone
From here to there
There to here
And back
So stop
Roll down
Your window
And humbly ask
Ask the proud man
“Need a ride, cowboy?”
Frederick J. Cowie, Ph.D. Please visit my website at fredcowie.com, my FACEBOOK(/fredcowie) page where I post my writings and my paintings every day. Peace!

Luckintheshadows
Beautiful Soul
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Luckintheshadows » September 19, 2008, 9:29 am

Love the feel of this poem Fred...you really capture the feeling of 'travel' I swear I can almost see what you're writing about! Thanks for sharing this,

Blessings,

Luck.

revdcb
Beautiful Soul

Post by revdcb » September 19, 2008, 9:47 am

Iwalk when I'm angry or confused or hurt or Ijust want to talk to God. It is the most therapeutic thing Iknow. Your poem has stirred my mind. revdcb

fredcowie
Beautiful Soul

Post by fredcowie » September 19, 2008, 6:50 pm

Thanks you guys, love the comments. I tried to catch the feel and the look of winding walkers, wending there way to wherever......zig zagging through life......I love to walk and I love to give tired walkers rides, for their stories are heartwarming and priceless
Frederick J. Cowie, Ph.D. Please visit my website at fredcowie.com, my FACEBOOK(/fredcowie) page where I post my writings and my paintings every day. Peace!

Liebestraum
Cosmic Dreamer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Liebestraum » September 21, 2008, 9:35 am

Dear Fred, reading your impressive poem made me contemporaneously feel like the walker and the driver, a double role so to say. I love the comments too.

I love to walk too, it does help to elaborate some issues, or even heal a headache now and then, but besides that it is just pure joy of BEING, of feeling alive and going ...

Enjoyed the rhythm of this write too and your insight as usual.

Love,
Margherita :)
Love is the One who masters all things;
I am mastered totally by Love.
(Rumi)

fredcowie
Beautiful Soul

Post by fredcowie » September 21, 2008, 10:53 am

Margherita: Just got back from trip to Indian Tribes in Washington State (Northwest US). Wonderful friends, very down to earth. Thanks for comments, as usual, you are a fellow traveler. Frerd

Post Reply < PreviousNext >