Welcome to our newly upgraded forum! it may look a little different, but hopefully you'll find it easy to navigate and enjoyable to use. There are a number of new features - so please feel free to experiment.

If you've had difficulty registering in the past, please try again, as the new software addresses most of of our registration issues. If you have any questions, please send us an email and we'll investigate.

If the Night Were My Friend (In Memoriam)

They say a poem's not really a poem until you share it with someone else. And that's what this place is all about.
Post Reply < PreviousNext > [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
LadySolaris
Beloved Pest
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by LadySolaris » October 19, 2010, 12:44 am

If the night were my friend
And did not have the face of pain
I could extend the arms of my mind
And seize far-away emotions.
I could feel your caress brush my skin
Through a nocturnal gust of wind
And in the dim moorland of the soul
Your smile would return and thrive
Mother, your smile, so
So tired – You waited
With your frail body
Almost to ask me for forgiveness
Because you had to go
Distressed only by my pain.

If in the night a dream were gracious
In that fetal timelessness
I could collect distant memories.
Perhaps I would still be with you
To travel again over ancient paving
To return to the town ringed by fragrant hills.
My hand in your hand.
If I could, I would gather the light of stars
To illuminate your peaceful eyes.
I would walk with you on the shore
Of the sea, on the wet sand,
Watching the small waves slap our feet
If I could, I would gift you with the music
Of a shell, to fill your heart.

If the night were my friend
I could – for one more time
Hold your precious face tightly to my chest,
Before the stud of gems of dawn
Calls me back to live my role
Where I drag my leaden shadow
Along solitary roads,
In company of everyday thoughts –
Unraveled, worn down, and fraught.
Awaiting, in the silence of the heart,
Another gentle night.
On this recurring wave,
See-sawing between dream and reality,
You cradle me now without a sound
While your smile is perpetually
Tethered to my heart.

(In memoriam, to my mother, April 1931 - December 2009)

Ron Atchison
Inspiration Peak

Post by Ron Atchison » October 19, 2010, 1:10 pm

This is so tender and sweet, like the love it describes (so perfectly.) Thank you again LadySolaris. Your words have touched my heart.

~ Ron

Lion~*
Everything In Moderation
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Lion~* » October 20, 2010, 12:39 am

Rich sorrow and treasured love... your soul speaks as always... in vibrant emotional color. I wept. I am deeply saddened for the grief your daughter heart journeys along.

Love Janice
Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart...William Wordsworth

Follow your honest convictions, and stay strong. - William Thackeray

The bottom line, especially for my character,
is the issue of unconditional love.”
Matthew Weeden

LadySolaris
Beloved Pest

Post by LadySolaris » October 20, 2010, 1:39 am

Thank you, both.

mwzephyr
Beautiful Soul

Post by mwzephyr » October 24, 2010, 8:44 am

A loving gracious gift indeed to your mother.

Morning Bear
Beautiful Soul

Post by Morning Bear » October 25, 2010, 6:30 am

I sit here wiping the tears away thinking of the sorrow that accompanies each passing, and of my grandmother who will soon be gone, and of others who are near that portal, and just am saying thankyou Lady Solaris, for all the beauty and love in this poem.
For me to believe in you doesn't require that you believe in me,...it only simply requires that you know and thus become all that you are meant to be. MB

jc_nithya
Beautiful Soul

Post by jc_nithya » October 27, 2010, 11:58 am

real pain..true love..deep thoughts...
very beautiful!
The only bliss that we possess on earth is loving God and knowing that He loves us...

Pollie
Beautiful Soul

Post by Pollie » November 11, 2010, 10:51 pm

Very beautiful. It moves me with the two of you, as if I am an unseen part of that picture. I feel it, I see it, I hear it, very beautiful.

Thank you =)
Pollie
"The future has a way of putting in front of us, that which we most wish to leave behind" Unknown

Sadness Princess
Good Friend

Post by Sadness Princess » November 24, 2010, 1:35 pm

Very touching and sincere. I love your poem and I think knowing that someday I will be needing to say these words... makes me feel everthing you expressed deeply... imagining myself between your lines looking for my own mom..... and my personal memories with her.... although she is still alive..
What doesn't break you makes you stronger.

Davidf
Beautiful Soul

Post by Davidf » November 27, 2010, 3:56 pm

Lady Solaris,
Y?ou have taken the pain and sorrow of your mother's death (at least I would imagine it was painful and sorrowful, at least at the time) and turned it to something beautiful and heartwarming. Nicely done.
~Davidf
Have a blessed day!

Post Reply < PreviousNext >